Mole Hunting Stories

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roche

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I currently have a very active mole (or possibly more) who is creating havoc in various places - went to mow the lawn and the mower disappeared into a series of tunnels, then bottomed out with the blade excavating the lawn...

Electronic scarers don't seem to have worked - so much for technology.

So I want to catch it, and release it somewhere it won't do any harm (Lords, or the local bowling club or somewhere in the woods) I would prefer not to terminate it, turn it into an ex-mole etc etc.

Does anyone have any war stories of successful campaigns?

Cheers,

Roche

roche,
I dont know if they do live traps for moles, but using normal mole traps, you find their run in two places with a stick or rod and dig down between to place the trap and re-cover with earth.
Our cats catch 1 or 2 a week in the summer for us but never alive by the time I get to see them !

Darren.

There are i think 'humane' traps on the market however moles are fiercly (sp) teritorial and releasing it else where may cause it more harm than good, also moles are heamophiliac (sp) so any slight knocks or cuts tend to be fatal. So being held in a trap for a few hours may cause a prolonged death, much better to use a kill trap that is very quick and much more effective. Thats my opinion on them anyway.

C B

Superb. Missed the bit about the padded cell that I'll be put in soon....Should have been a long time ago according to some...

in all the mole hills in your garden one or two will have ah ole in the top rather than soil pushed up these are its breather holes and the one hole it will visit several times a day without you knowing, now we have a breather hole its time to go shopping, at the local hard ware store we want super smelly mole hating stuff so first to shove some thing down the hole would be moth balls or any thing with ammonia or such like in its mix. cat scare off pellets work as well, it just smells awlfull and the mole will go else wher away from you and your smelly lawn

It's a bit ot but I have a fox which comes and looks at my beehives every dawn and dusk, I don't have any chickens, and I've watched this fox grow up from a cub.

Every time I think I must shoot it, but I haven't yet.

They are a flipping nuisance though, I wish they would eat slugs or something useful.

Don't Moles eat slugs ?

Flippin` fox took three of my chickens yesterday. The magpies keep eating the eggs. At least with moles you get a nice bit of topsoil to put on your veg patch.

Regards,
Darren

Darren,
True about the top soil but what do you do with 7 wheelbarrow loads:( Part of my garden is a quite steep slope and when it rains hard the mole hills at the bottom of the slope are like fountains:)
I use spring traps when I'm sick of collecting soil but it is a battle of wits, the little "gentlemen in velvet jackets" go under or round or just stuff the trap full of soil:toetap05:
:cheers2: Mike

Darren,
True about the top soil but what do you do with 7 wheelbarrow loads:( Part of my garden is a quite steep slope and when it rains hard the mole hills at the bottom of the slope are like fountains:)

:cheers2: Mike

Look on the bright side at least your lawn is aerated !

BTW, I hope the weather`s nice down your neck of the woods as I shall be passing through on my motorbike. :nature-smiley-011:

Darren

mole traps

in my youth I worked in an old fashioned ironmongers folk would come in an ask for a mole trap. the old guy on the counter would be asked how it was used he always told them take it home bury it for 6 to12 months in the compost heap. the mole will not go any were near it till the smell of manufacture has gone it may catch one after that.( best bets the old guy that put there in the first place, making a nice living thank you) I'm a sinical old b@@@@@@@

I found it funny twice,its the same link as in post 4.

The skins used to be worth 8p,anyone know the current price.

Last edited:
To go back to the original post, my neighbour now has a mole problem.

With a certain amount of irony, after my having nicely asked the mole to move along, using HRPs suggestion, my neighbour has deployed serious terminator mole traps...

Stepladder and 12-bore method
Place stepladder in centre of molehills, sit quietly atop it with 12 bore, wait patiently - upon seeing signs of mole digging - let him have it! - both barrels :cheers2:

BROSVILLE! That is not like you! I thought you would have used some herb or muscial chant to get them out?

NIce one 12g my style:cheers2:

Moles

Had moles on my allotement plot, asked one of the other plot holders how to remove them and was told that a lot of the other plots used canes with plastic bottles on, the bottles vibrate in the wind and drive them off
Since I have placed canes on each row with a bottle on top I have not had any more problems
Another method I heard was one of the little noise things that plays a tune often found in birthday cards ,bury it in the run ,I think it works the same way.

Latest posts

Back