Modified Warré hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_The _Swede

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello, I'm a relatively new beekeeper and started with standard size British National Hives, but converted them recently to 14x12 extra deep brood boxes. But what I really like is my two Warré hives, the latest built this Winter and now populated with a new swarm created from a split. I have used the general design of the British National Standard hives (I like this design) but made the dimensions according Emile Warré. Smaller and higher boxes – 'supers' the same size as brood boxes.

Attachments

• Warré II LR.jpg
    Warré II LR.jpg
    556 KB · Views: 89
Hi I’ve yet to see any warre method of beekeeping that can’t be transferred to standard equipment. Could you not have used National brood frames for supers? Ian

Hello, I'm a relatively new beekeeper and started with standard size British National Hives, but converted them recently to 14x12 extra deep brood boxes. But what I really like is my two Warré hives, the latest built this Winter and now populated with a new swarm created from a split. I have used the general design of the British National Standard hives (I like this design) but made the dimensions according Emile Warré. Smaller and higher boxes – 'supers' the same size as brood boxes.
What a gorgeous hive.

Work of art.
Too good to be used! :love:

Might be worth a go just using BS supers/shallows for the whole hive, a slightly more stable footprint size. As it has been said one can use any size they wish, but more often it is what ever the keeper deems suitable to lift or manipulate.

Hi I’ve yet to see any warre method of beekeeping that can’t be transferred to standard equipment. Could you not have used National brood frames for supers? Ian

Hello Ian, not really – as I understand it one of the central ideas of Emile Warré was to better imitate the shape of a hollow three, plus achieve the ideal volume for bees to overwinter. Two boxes of the size he recommended is approx 40 litres. I now have two Warré hives and two 14x12 Nationals (overwintering the bees with only one brood box of course). Over time I will beable to compare how the bees fare in the two different designs. /Paul

Lovely bit of woodwork ...the bees really don't care much what you keep them in but I'm sure they will be happy in there ... do you follow the Warre principle through to the deep insulated quilt on the top of the hive ?

Might be worth a go just using BS supers/shallows for the whole hive, a slightly more stable footprint size. As it has been said one can use any size they wish, but more often it is what ever the keeper deems suitable to lift or manipulate.
Yes, when (if) you come to have 4-5 boxes in height Emile Warré suggest to put a post behind the hives to avoid them toppling over. I think I can do that if it comes to it.

Lovely bit of woodwork ...the bees really don't care much what you keep them in but I'm sure they will be happy in there ... do you follow the Warre principle through to the deep insulated quilt on the top of the hive ?
Thanks. Yes, I just managed to get a Hessian sack and will use that on both hives the coming Winter. The roofs has a 22 mm Celtex insulation on the inside, and I also put a piece of Celtex over the crown board. In the eke I will put some fondant for them in case they need it late Winter, placed on a plastic queen excluder. That's what I mean with a modified Warré – I have followed most if not all of his design suggestions.

Same thickness of wood as nationals? Or normal Warre 2.5cm thickness?

Same thickness of wood as nationals? Or normal Warre 2.5cm thickness?
I couldn't find wood that actually was 25 mm – found out that what was named 25 mm was actually 22 mm when planed. But I put roofing felt on the hives over Winter, so hopefully that add some insulation and more importantly keep the hives dry.

hi Paul - your hive is very nice.
What wood did you use?
I made a couple of Warre hives using cedar.

Hi Paul. Interested to see you put a ventilator in the roof.
Is the roof open on the sides?
How will you use the roofing felt?
Do you use insulation in the quilt box or is that the celtex?

Latest posts

Back