Modern Beekeeping Sale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleoPerson

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Just had an email about MB;'s sale copied below.

CRAZY VAT-FREE SALE

While stocks last we are holding a crazy VAT-FREE SALE ON ALL OUR PRODUCTS. Under this sale if you enter the code VATFREE into the website on the first page of the check-out process it will take 17.5% off all your purchases, including Childrens' clothing even though there is no VAT on these items. This offer applies to all products, including bulk offers for 10 hives etc., and it applies to telephone orders as well as on-line sales.

This sale will last until stocks are exhausted or until 31st December 2010. Please note that the website does not always know stock levels and acceptance of an order on-line or by telephone does not mean that we can fulfil the order if we find we have sold out. If this happens we will offer an alternative or refund your payment. Our suggestion is you place your order quickly to avoid missing out on this offer.
Modern Beekeeping, 12 November, 2010

Rab, I know your out there :) will invoices state zero vat or simply have an additional refund and still charge vat - i cant see how you can skip vat charging as you cant pick and choose when you apply vat to goods.

I think the "VAT free" is an advertising puff as they will have to charge VAT (whatever the price) if they are registered. So in effect 14.9% discount.

Just noticed it says they are taking 17.5% off so very generous.

LS Medium Plastic Frame ( 102703 ) £25.60
LS Full Depth Plastic Frame ( 102702 ) £13.60
4012 Complete Hive with 1 Full & 2 Medium Hive Bodies ( 4012 ) £86.17
Hive Paint ( 103806 ) £7.65
Full Width Rapid Feeder ( 800003 )

UK Shipping - Standard Shipping Total £41.13 :(
Order Total £188.56

Grahambee - I don't want to get into an argument over this as it is not appropriate to the Forum but I know what people are like here and there will be 3 pages about high shipping cost if I don't do something now. Shipping on the above, assuming it was for 20 medium and 10 full depth frames and you don't live in somewhere like the Shetlands would be £10.58 (£9.00 plus VAT). I am not sure what happened with your quote. £41.13 is £35.00 plus VAT and we don't have such a rate for lowland UK. Please send an e-mail if you need any clarification.

Last edited:
sorry

quote=grahambee;92203]

UK Shipping - Standard Shipping Total £41.13 :(
[/quote]
a bug or is it a bee in the works p&p is £9 plus vat :party:

Yes, items are still liable for VAT - it is just a 17.5% off everything sale.

For clarification, would you give an example inc VAT, deductions etc as will be shown on the invoice for say the bulk purchase:

10 X 4004 mediums same spec as single hive 4004.

For clarification, would you give an example inc VAT, deductions etc as will be shown on the invoice for say the bulk purchase:

10 X 4004 mediums same spec as single hive 4004.

Because of forum rules asking questions direct to the website owner is a little unfair on other suppliers and could also be seen as an endorsment,I have spoken to modern beekeeping and this is the reply I have received:

"Modern Beekeeping does not want to misuse the Forum. If potential customers would like a quotation then they can contact the company through its website, alternatively, customers can put together an order and take it through the checkout process during which the amount of VAT will be clearly shown. The sale is simply 17.5% off everything and VAT will still apply."

"Because of forum rules"

OK Admin, no infringement intended.

All the things I want are out of stock or not available until the spring. :p

What would that be Onge, good weather and an OSR crop?

Don't get us in trouble with Admin . . . :)

Grahambee - I don't want to get into an argument over this as it is not appropriate to the Forum but I know what people are like here and there will be 3 pages about high shipping cost if I don't do something now. Shipping on the above, assuming it was for 20 medium and 10 full depth frames and you don't live in somewhere like the Shetlands would be £10.58 (£9.00 plus VAT). I am not sure what happened with your quote. £41.13 is £35.00 plus VAT and we don't have such a rate for lowland UK. Please send an e-mail if you need any clarification.

Shetland or the Shetland Isles, please NOT the Shetlands.

I don't want you to go into an advertorial for your wares, RoofTops, but is there somewhere I can find some debate about plastic foundation and hives?

I have read the various comments made by forum members about the pro's and con's of using plastic frames and I shall be sticking to the formula that works best for me.

That is "I will be giving it (plastic frames) a try during the 2011 season, and I will then draw my own conclusions as to whether it works for me and my bees".

I have found that there are far too many variables in this hobby to make absolute decisions based on advice only. Whilst many members offer up sound and noteworthy advice, personal experience also needs to become part of the thought process, and it is this that I am trying to acquire more of.

I don't want you to go into an advertorial for your wares, RoofTops, but is there somewhere I can find some debate about plastic foundation and hives?

Plastic hives, usually high density polystyrene ones, are well established in a number of European countries. There are a number of manufacturers in Germany (BVW), Denmark (Swienty) and Finland plus others. You can see some German poly hives in this video: http://www.iwf.de/iwf/do/mkat/details.aspx?Signatur=C+1896

Click on the Windows Media link High on the right of the screen but if that doesn't work try some of the others. Select the English version unless your German is up to scratch.

In the UK they are still regarded with a degree of suspicion but I sense a gradual move towards their acceptance here. In Denmark, where they were invented in the 1970s, some 99% of all new hives sold are now made of plastic. In Germany, one of the largest suppliers no longer lists wooden hives in their catalogue.

I have yet to meet anyone who having tried a poly hive would go back to wood.

You can search on this Forum for other discussions but don't think of them as in any way experimental. They simply work.

Plastic foundation is a step too far for many but I've now converted all my hives and would not go back to wooden frames with wax foundation. Downside for the UK is one piece plastic frames and foundation are not available in UK sizes like National. You can use plastic foundation in a National wooden frame but it needs to be cut to size and this is a bit wasteful except for a trial. Best to switch to Langstroth if you want to go down the plastic foundation route.

You can also just Google for more debate on these topics.

Back