Mobile phone masts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Do mobile phone masts/aerials the big ones affect bees in any way. Asking as they are planning on putting one of these up near me its also near a primary school which as you can imagine isnt going down too well.

I'll try to be more honest than most "scientists" are - I'll cover it with a disclaimer - as far as my knowledge and understanding takes me, I don't think they are any more damaging to bees or humans than a single mobile 'phone - it may be that if mobiles are carried on site, a nearby mast may actually LESSEN the strength of radio waves on that site - mobile phones "wind up" their power when they are distant from the mast, so if there's one nearby, it may actually lessen the overall strength.......

I have heard that rain clouds stop hanging onto them and rain never stops.

It acts another way too that it cuts clouds and it is allway dry near the mast.

Finman,

With your super duper 5W Nokia phone to your right ear, calculate the voltage gradient between your two ears and wonder what the heating effect on your grey matter might be.

Kids are more likely to place mobile phones against their heads than masts that are 12.5m off the ground.

I understand what Brosville is saying. A healthy signal from the local Cell, will cause all those brickies mobiles to turn down the wick, and lessen the power being radiated in their overall pockets, keeping their gonads warm.:piggy:

Oh, and it doesn't affect the rain in my neck of the woods. Perhaps it works differently at your location, where I understand they make imiation pine trees to hide cell antenna at the edges of forests? Irradiating the aphids, no doubt. :)

Last edited:
Finman,

With your super duper 5W Nokia phone to your right ear, calculate the voltage gradient between your two ears and wonder what the heating effect on your grey matter might be.
:)

I believe that it is as dangerour as your famous Scotch Whisky.

And it seems too that our kids brains work better when they give radiation to grey area. Soon they commiunicate directly to the mast and they need not pay awful talking payments.

i looked into them closly a few years ago and i dont think theres to much in it my self but of one of the people i spoke to he was sure that bees fly away from them or arouind them but from quite a distence about 6 metres away and no closer. the other sience nosence i have seen is in a field of rape one year the bee's where every where but when you watched they all when they got close to it flying inline with the over head power cables, the rest in the fields where flying any way and any where but for some reason when then got to where the cables where they would fly along itsdirection of length
x files in south warwickshire, pick a man going on a journey?

i . the other sience nosence i have seen is in a field of rape one year the bee's where every where but when you watched they all when they got close to it flying inline with the over head power cables, ?

It is very usual that bees go to rape field to the nearest edge and the rest of field has very few bees. There are even researches how far the pollination effect exists.

But beekeeping is full of magic. Carry on!

when i was very young and evan more stupid i was an eco warrior, but gave it up when i realizes i was spending so much on petrol going to protests, bit pointless realy the government does what ever the money wants. secondly there are some realy paraniod people you meet which realy give you the willies

A few years ago this conversation took place with the topic being power lines.

Yawn.

PH

Apperantly if you put your mobile phone beside the bee hive, foraging bees won't enter the hive and fly away. I read this on a web site but I never tried it.

Food for thought

Busy Bee

A few years ago this conversation took place with the topic being power lines.

Yawn.

PH

Very sorry polyhive if you find this thread boring then dont post. 1st and foremost i am worried about my childs health 2nd i know nothing about these masts.
If you dont have anything constructive to say then dont bother answering simple as that!

Thought this might be a place to get sencible answers. :puke:

I really hope they dont put one near you, then you may change your mind.

Last edited:
I think PH may of been teasing slightly,its not often on here that anyone insults members regards whats posted(Well apart from Mike anyway).

I will see what PH has to say in reply.

Actually Veg, you appeared to indicate not that you were concerned about your child's health, but the health of all children at a Primary School, despite really not knowing the first thing about the subject - apparently.

Look around to see how many Radio Amateurs, of long standing, are also bee keepers. I think that they would have noticed if the bees went bonkers when they were nattering to their mates on the other side of the country/world. Some of them use Morse code because it's a well known fact that bees don't read Morse and so you can talk about them quite freely.

Concerning your child's health and that of other children, I take it that until he or she is of a much less tender age, then ownership of a mobile phone will be well out of the question? No big-M beefburgers either?

Do you get concerned when other young children in your child's class have mobile phones at all, and what if anything do you do about it? This presents a more realistic problem than phone masts which if anything radiate well above the ground and the significant radiation envelope gets to ground level a significant distance from the mast.

Do you have a wifi router operating in your living room at all? Frequency slightly under that of your microwave. You might be paranoid if you thought your microwave was leaking despite it running for only a few minutes at a time, but does your router run 24x7 like mine? Is it a concern to you at all.

I firmly believe that all people that feel mobile phone masts might be risky should have their mobile phone service terminated pronto. How big an outcry would there be then I ask myself.

I have two phone masts 50m from my front door and still we don't get to glow in the dark.:ack2:

I once read that you can hang a large piece of meat at the hive entrance and the bees will ignore it. If I were you, I wouldn't try exposing meat near the bees in a bid to prove the theory one way or the other

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back