MJT Cell Punch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patterson says: " There is a device with a similar principle [ to using a disposable plastic syringe. ], called the "MJT" that is made out of stainless steel. I haven't used it, but I have read an article about it. It has the same problem in that the cell has to be mounted in something else. R.P. " (Cell Punch Alternatives)

In the Thorne acrticle cited by the OP, the user makes their own cell cups out of bees wax, but I am lazy and already have a Nicot style cell bar made up with cell bar blocks. Is there any reason why one should not use those instead of the hassle of making wax cell cups?

That is what I have made but the OP is talking about a single cutter which extracts a chunk of cells.
I have used a apple corer to use as a test for a Q- hive where you remove a section in the Q- hive and put a section of eggs in from a Q+ hive. (A small cookie cutter can also be used) This is useful if you can't afford a spare frame of eggs

Has anyone tried the MJT Cell Punch? Thorne sell them but I’d like to hear some of your experience before I buy it. Thanks in advance
https://www.thorne.co.uk/image/data/Documents/MJT%20Cell%20Punch%20-%20article.pdf
Here is a document i wrong on making them. Roger said he would add but never did to the cushman site. It uses bullets as the outer casing and works well. Also in there is suppliers etc.

Has anyone tried the MJT Cell Punch? Thorne sell them but I’d like to hear some of your experience before I buy it. Thanks in advance
https://www.thorne.co.uk/image/data/Documents/MJT%20Cell%20Punch%20-%20article.pdf

Attachments

• Instructions on Making Queen Rearing Plug Kit.pdf
    928 KB · Views: 43
I bought an MJT cell punch and tried it. I soon discovered the cutting edge needed to be *really* sharp. Then I tried again on both new and old brood comb. The new comb is very soft and it's difficult to extract the punched cell cleanly from the tool. The old comb has many layers of pupal casing and it's difficult to punch through in the right place.

At that point I gave up and went back to grafting with a fine paintbrush. Maybe I didn't persevere long enough to get the hang of it. I should try it again this season.

I tried cell punching. It is difficult to cut cleanly though foundation. As Chris above, pupal casings, wire, tough comb all make a clean cut difficult. I sharpened my cutter and warmed it but it was an exercise in futility. And newly drawn foundation tears on a hot day...
I learned to graft - which is quicker, less hassle and gives better results (for me that is)

I got Roger Patterson who does cell punching to run a course for my division and also went with him once doing it. The trick is the comb must not be too soft i.e. weather to warm and older comb i.e. dark. Soft clean wax cumbles you need the older comb to hold the cell shape.

I got Roger Patterson who does cell punching to run a course for my division and also went with him once doing it. The trick is the comb must not be too soft i.e. weather to warm and older comb i.e. dark. Soft clean wax cumbles you need the older comb to hold the cell shape.
Thanks. As I understand it Roger Paterson doesn’t use an MJT cell punch but since you saw him using a cell punch, what exactly does he use? Is it something we could do/make it ourselves?

I bought an MJT cell punch and tried it. I soon discovered the cutting edge needed to be *really* sharp. Then I tried again on both new and old brood comb. The new comb is very soft and it's difficult to extract the punched cell cleanly from the tool. The old comb has many layers of pupal casing and it's difficult to punch through in the right place.

At that point I gave up and went back to grafting with a fine paintbrush. Maybe I didn't persevere long enough to get the hang of it. I should try it again this season.
Thanks! Please keep us posted if you do try it again!

Thanks. As I understand it Roger Paterson doesn’t use an MJT cell punch but since you saw him using a cell punch, what exactly does he use? Is it something we could do/make it ourselves?
No he bought a system when it was around years ago it is two parts a plastic like tube and a metal piece. Here are some pictures i took for him to use in his new book, you can clearly see the plastic and metal pieces i.e. two part system. Hence the reason i made mine as a single unit, see previous post on instructions to make or I can repost made from a 303 bullet

Attachments

• IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 53
made from a 303 bullet
I think you mean a .303 shell casing - a lump of lead wrapped in copper wouldn't be much good
I'd have also thought a third of an inch diameter would be a bit wide, wouldn't a .22 case be better?

No he bought a system when it was around years ago it is two parts a plastic like tube and a metal piece. Here are some pictures i took for him to use in his new book, you can clearly see the plastic and metal pieces i.e. two part system. Hence the reason i made mine as a single unit, see previous post on instructions to make or I can repost made from a 303 bullet
Many thanks for that.
Where does one buy a 303 bullet? I’m assuming it’s a used one

Many thanks for that.
Where does one buy a 303 bullet? I’m assuming it’s a used one
see attached instructions with also suppliers of everything required. Also picture of mine in use this year

Attachments

• Instructions on Making Queen Rearing Plug Kit.pdf
    928 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210502_101759.jpg
    20210502_101759.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 40
That’s very helpful; thank you all for your replies

Back