mixing thymol to oil

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fod

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all,

How do mix thymol and oil? Whats the measurement like. Sorry, this is nothing related to bees. Its for my soap making experiment which requires me to use thymol.

Thanks!

Thymol will dissolve readily in warm/hot oil; it is very pungent so do not use very much. I suspect that half a teaspoonful will suffice if used for the scent.

Too much may not be a good idea in soap.

Good luck with your project.

Thymol will dissolve readily in warm/hot oil; it is very pungent so do not use very much. I suspect that half a teaspoonful will suffice if used for the scent.

Too much may not be a good idea in soap.

Good luck with your project.

I suspect that half a teaspoon may be too much. Look up Hivemakers thread on thymol for syrup. The amount you end up with is practically homeopathic; but the finished product is pretty pungent.

Last edited:
Boys and girls,

half a teaspoonful will suffice

half a teaspoon may be too much.

Absolutely no point in quoting amounts when we don't even know the batch size!

Regards, RAB

ping the oil in the microwave iin a glass bottle, pour thymol into hot oil, stopper and shake

Boys and girls,

half a teaspoon may be too much.

Absolutely no point in quoting amounts when we don't even know the batch size!

Regards, RAB

As it's an experiment, I'm assuming we're not talkign hundredweights here.

Pete, it's Lecathin (Less-a-thin) granules (think lot-a-fat), and that's to help make an emulsion with the thymol disolved in oil/spirit and the water/syrup mix.

In soap making, there is no water involved and so no dispersion problem to solve, so lecathin is not relevant.

Must go and have a HP Movie view later to see what you have been up to with the sequins.

I suspect that my original message was a little, but beware as too much could be harmful in a skin product - some of us do use soap for washing ourselves . . .

Perhaps Fod is a long gone troll though and not a genuine enquirer, so no point in looking for an exact answer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back