Mixing poly and wood hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbear

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Sorry if it's a dumb question, but are the parts for poly and wooden hives interchangeable at all?

I'm looking at getting another couple of hives next year, and poly appeals, but as i have some wooden supers, ekes etc it would be nice to be able to use them together if needed.

Oh, and anyone know a supplier of 14x12 polys please?

Thankyou!

depends on brand, some are, some are not, also watch for top and bottom bee space issues.

I have a national poly hive (swienty) and a cedar one. The polyhive takes one less frame than the wooden one in BB and super. I have used both together on a temp basis - ie combining two colonies where it was fine stacking either poly bb on top of wooden bb and then later putting wooden bb on crownboard over poly super.

Eke, crown board and QE are same on both. and if needed I would mix supers for short period of time to cover shortage etc.

I'm sure there are others on forum with more experience, but i've had no problems - will be going for more polys next years as I really like them.

Thanks folks!

Anyone know a 14x12 poly supplier please?

Latest posts

Back