Mixing Honey from different batches

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4degreesWest

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Apologies if this has already been asked-I did search but couldn’t find anything. Last year was my first year and so I only harvested my honey once in September. I’ve sold it to friends and family and everybody loved it (biased maybe?)

Anyway, this year I’m running out of frames and supers so was wondering do I jar it up now? Would the taste be different to what it will be in September?

Is it possible to extract it now, put the frames back on the super and combine what I’ve harvested now with September’s haul?

Last year I harvested a single frame in June because I was so impatient and it was lime green!

If its ready yes, extract and put supers back on is fine. Some folks like to keep batches separate others don't bother too much.
I keep every box separate unless I know they have all come from one flow. Different textures, colours, tastes. Don't forget to keep one jar that you never open from every year / extraction. See how they differ from year to year😄 label it up for the year

I keep every box separate unless I know they have all come from one flow. Different textures, colours, tastes. Don't forget to keep one jar that you never open from every year / extraction. See how they differ from year to year😄 label it up for the year

Great idea, thanks. As someone who’s never really eaten honey I wasn’t sure whether people expect a consistent flavour or whether batches from different times are ok.

Great idea, thanks. As someone who’s never really eaten honey I wasn’t sure whether people expect a consistent flavour or whether batches from different times are ok.
Real honey aficionados seek out different honeys and can be seen stopping at multiple cottage gates to buy as they tour the countryside. 😋

Hi
I have a super that's been capped, Will be harvesting my first honey very soon.
1) Once extracted do you just put the supers back on as normal on top of the hive or do they need to go above crownboard?

2) how long can I keep capped frames before I can to extract? The honey flow is on and running out of kit, soneas wondering if I can remove called frames now but extract when back from holiday in 1 weeks time?

Thanks in advance for your time reading and advising :)

1. straight on top of the others if the bees are still bringing in nectar
2. Yes extraction can wait but honey spins better when it's warm

I always take my supers of in the morning at dawn clearer boards go on the day before they then go into the honey room in the side room which has heaters in , this time of year though the honey is warm so no need for any extra heat, good luck and your first super is always the best and memorable.

Latest posts

Back