Mites

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irobson

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
Hi
Finished treating my hives using the three week apilife var program for those of us south of the boarder, three weeks ago. One of my hives is still dropping a shed load of mites. Should I treat again, or wait and use oxalyic in December? This is a strong colony feeding like crazy.

Thanks

Getting late in the season for ApilifeVar. I think it wants higher temperatures than simple Apiguard.

Noted that you have a Beehaus. This may matter.

How many mites are dropping?
Over about 10 a day, I'd be thinking of applying another (different) treatment.
If pyretheroids have not been used on the colony, you could try that (much less temperature dependant). And a tray of Apiguard at the same time (if it works) would provide a bit of a hit even if the mites were pyretheroid-resistant.

Strong colonies do tend to produce the largest mite problems …

Getting late in the season for ApilifeVar. I think it wants higher temperatures than simple Apiguard.

Noted that you have a Beehaus. This may matter.

It is actually more effective than apiguard at lower temperatures, i would say the hive is the biggest problem causing ineffective treatment in this instance, too many air gaps and vain space.

Got the same problem, going to treat again and up the dose as I'm using DB

Hi
Finished treating my hives using the three week apilife var program for those of us south of the boarder, three weeks ago. One of my hives is still dropping a shed load of mites. Should I treat again, or wait and use oxalyic in December? This is a strong colony feeding like crazy.

Thanks

I'm failing to understand your reference to Apilife Var being a three week treatment. I used it this year on one hive and the dose was one biscuit broken in two per National hive each week for FOUR consecutive weeks. Maybe you truncated the course and didn't get to all the exposed/emerged mites?

Just checked the product details ..It's three weeks per the instructions for regular infestation..however for heavy infestations you can go to four..I guess this is now heavy so I'll give them them a second program as the weather is still warm and see what happens.

Not sure I understand the comments ref beehaus and ventilation....never been an issue in four years of use. my other colonies...and I run multiple per beehaus quite successfully, including the other side of this hive, are all ok

Latest posts

Back