Mite resistant queens wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a swarm on Good Friday that came from a nest in a disused chimney. The nest had been there for over 8 years. I am hoping that the survival of the fittest will prove itself.
The swarm drew 10 frames for brood, all laid in, and then drew the foundation and half filled a super in under a fortnight.
I am keeping an eye out to see if they are miteless.
I believe in Dawinian theory. Old dinosaurs like F----n and D-----p should be allowed to battle it out before they both become extinct!!!

but the thing is I beleive you but the other bloke will say its not possible, and he must be right becuase he's a "professional"

Last edited:
If anyone is really bored then there's a great thread here from a year or so ago ... lots of Finnies 'Bees will die if not doused with chemicals' posts ~ forgive me FM I have paraphrased. All good for half an hour's entertainment and obfuscation.

See:

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22723&highlight=catherine+thompson

Quite topical really as Catherine Thompson appears to be booked to speak at the BIBBA convention.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29671&page=2

:biggrinjester:

The practical beekeper by Michael Bush is a book I have read online and have recently had bought for my birthday by my wife.
It suggests that if you stop treatment and stop buying in queens, go foundationless (a gross simplification of the book), then after a few years your bees should adapt. I suppose this makes perfect sense really. Who are we to fix nature? Thinking bees won't survive without us is very arrogant, surely it's the opposite.

I recently collected a swarm from a colony that have been living in a roof for over 25 years. I am going to keep a close eye on this one as they have never been treated or "looked after"

I guess survival of the fittest is a good analogy for these. We will see how they are fairing later in the year.

How can you vouch for the continuity of the colony? What if they have died out and been reoccupied by a swarm? This may have happened several times. It's the "Trigger's brush" argument.

Great if it true, but I have series doubts about the stated longevity of the parent colony.

If anybody want to give me £20 they can come and watch my bees in the obs hive grooming each other. Free coffee and biscuits included.

Starflex,

Inclined to agree with you.

I have had the same broom for about thirty five years now. It has had about four new handles and umpteen new heads - but is still that same broom I bought all those years ago, and probably works better now than when new! Is this your 'triggers brush' syndrome/argument you were referring to?

Starflex,

I have had the same broom for about thirty five years now. It has had about four new handles and umpteen new heads - but is still that same broom I bought all those years ago, and probably works better now than when new! Is this your 'triggers brush' syndrome/argument you were referring to?

That is the one; the same, but different.

I also appear to have had a "serious" spelling failure as well!

I do get concerned about organisations like BIBBA... I am fairly sure that there is a lot of AMM in my bees, but they do come out with the odd yellow stripe, too. Is purity good?

BIBBA seems a bit like the Kennel Club... you end up with perfect breeds of dog with congenital heart, brain, joint and other problems. As long as we don't start naming first crosses... labradoodles, pit tzus, german shepherd pugs etc. I suppose it could work... they are all Apis you then take the middle name of the incomer and the last name of AMM. ;-)

I thought it might be Basil, not Trigger, but series was an acceptable term - until you raised the point. Serial might have been a better form but is part of the English language.

In the context of this thread, maybe you should have used the word cereal - they do have nuts in breakfast cereals, don't they?

Starflex,

It is 'probably' the same brush but has it started to push itself around yet or grow new heads and brushes, maybe if you left it to its own devices over time it would?
S

If anybody want to give me £20 they can come and watch my bees in the obs hive grooming each other. Free coffee and biscuits included.

Free coffee with 20 pounds. What they groom if they have no mites? Do I bring mites with me that I see how it happens ?

Flying ticket, hotel, taxi...I think still...

Last edited:
Dishmop

I'd come to Norwich anytime if it stops rained pissistently (courtesy Jenkins etc etc etc) but I am afraid that Norwich will be underwater first... or I'll die of boredom in this cycle Is it Groundhog Day on bee resistant queens?

Free coffee with 20 pounds. What they groom if they have no mites? Do I bring mites with me that I see how it happens ?

Flying ticket, hotel, taxi...I think still...
It really is time to admit that you dont have the ability to understand what you are told, ......I said that my bees havent died from varroa......not that they havent got mites.

and for your information Mr Know It All, newly emerged bees get groomed/cleaned anyway.

Last edited:
I thought it might be Basil, not Trigger, but series was an acceptable term - until you raised the point. Serial might have been a better form but is part of the English language.

In the context of this thread, maybe you should have used the word cereal - they do have nuts in breakfast cereals, don't they?

Nah… Trigger was a famous horse :rofl:

Starflex,

Rab, I hope you realise just exactly what confusion you may be causing to Finman.

Latest posts

Back