Mite drop in parent and daughter colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have just finished Apilife Var treatment on my four hives. Two of the hives are related as one was a swarm from the other, in June. I did not treat the swarm for varroa as it was from my own hive. The old queen started laying almost immediately. I shall be trickling OA in all four in December.

The mite drop from the swarm has been quite high whereas the drop from the parent hive (now, presumably headed by a daughter queen) has been negligible. Although l understand brood break is now discredited as a varroa brake, l wonder whether this could be the reason for the big difference in the two drops?

I have just finished Apilife Var treatment on my four hives. Two of the hives are related as one was a swarm from the other, in June. I did not treat the swarm for varroa as it was from my own hive. The old queen started laying almost immediately. I shall be trickling OA in all four in December.

The mite drop from the swarm has been quite high whereas the drop from the parent hive (now, presumably headed by a daughter queen) has been negligible. Although l understand brood break is now discredited as a varroa brake, l wonder whether this could be the reason for the big difference in the two drops?
Where did you get the idea about brood breaks not helping varroa load? Varroa reproduce in sealed brood. No brood=no varroa increase.

Where did you get the idea about brood breaks not helping varroa load? Varroa reproduce in sealed brood. No brood=no varroa increase.
Agree. My two with brood breaks this year have dropped far less than those with no breaks.

I think what has been postulated is that if you have a high varroa load and a brood break the varroa have to go somewhere so the Individual adult bees suffer more viral attack and are sicker.

Latest posts

Back