Mite drop following Oxalic

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allotment Pete

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Just thought i would share with everyone a photo of my bottom slide in board (under the omf).

Did some Oxalic a fortnight ago (thanks go to Scott and Ged) and this is the result.

As you can see from the amount of red dots, quite a few Varroa bit the dust.

Hopefully that will make my bees a bit quicker off the mark once the warm weather really kicks in.

Peter.

Hi Pete,
This is quite a light drop, so you have a good colony there (if Oxalic treatment right strength;) )

Have a good summer.. Try and spot if/when they are thinking of swarming and split the colony.You really need 2 hives - heir and a spare and all that.

Hi Pete,
This is quite a light drop, so you have a good colony there (if Oxalic treatment right strength )
Unless your colony already has brood in which case the majority of the little buggers will be hiding in it!

Thanks, i have a nuc just waiting to go for the swarm with plans to build a new hive!!!

I haven't had a look for brood yet, it has been too cold at the weekends for a good check.

Has anyone tried the mite control with the drones and the super frame in the brood box????

I read it somewhere and wondered how successful it is?

Peter.

Thanks, i have a nuc just waiting to go for the swarm with plans to build a new hive!!!

I haven't had a look for brood yet, it has been too cold at the weekends for a good check.

Has anyone tried the mite control with the drones and the super frame in the brood box????

I read it somewhere and wondered how successful it is?

Peter.
Have a look at this thread Allotment Pete
Click here
I found using super frames in brood box for drone comb culling very useful

Dave, very interesting. Sorry for not picking that thread up. I think this is definitely something to try this summer. I plan on keeping a photo record of mite drop with the different controls, so it will be interesting to add this to it.

Peter.

Why on earth does anyone believe in drone culling. 1. They are essential to ensure queens are fully mated. 2. Keeps a healthy diversity in the gene pool. 3.It has been reported that varroa mites either prefer drone brood or worker brood, so getting rid of the ones that prefer drone brood just means your bees get a prevalence of worker mites. 4. The whole nest benefits by the presence of drones, in ways that are only just beginning to be explored - Nature should be trusted, not continually messed with.

I would suggest you do another check shortly to check your mite drop numbers. Also try planting some thyme around your hives, and bergamot, both natural sources of thymol - then watch the bees land on the plants to groom themselves in the sunshine. If you have ants, apparently they are partial to a mitey meal, so any that drop of are quickly snaffled up.:nature-smiley-011:

Back