Mistake Preparing Hives for Winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeypi

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
So, I think I've made a mistake and am not sure whether to put it right or just leave it.

I'd heard about people nadiring a super on their hive over winter and misunderstood this to mean that the full shallow should be moved from the top of the hive to the bottom. I did this in late October and only recently realised that this may not have been the right thing to do.

Should I rearrange the hive with the shallow on top or at this stage would that cause more disruption that it's worth?

Thanks.

nadiring a shallow for winter is generally done for extra storage space for food for larger colonys of bees.

If you do not have a large colony of bees, nadiring will do no harm. just make sure you have a tight fitting mouseguard

There should be no queen excluder between the boxes.

Depending on what sort of winter we have, you may need to manipulate in spring to make sure you get no feed in the honey.

I would not remove the shallow. despite the weather being mild, we should not be in there changing things at this time of year.

Nothing wrong with what you have done as long as there is no excluder involved. Leave it where it is. It should be empty by Spring. You then have options to use it as a honey super or going brood-and-a-half.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back