Missing Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyTierling

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi everyone

After a 10 year break I have, this year, started to keep bees again. I was lucky enough to catch a swarm in May in my next door neighbours garden. They have been doing great after a couple of weeks of feeding when they were caught I have a very strong colony.

However, last week I couldn't find the queen and no sign of eggs or larvae. Checking again today and still no sign of any queen activity which has me worried, I went through every frame and couldn't locate her (she is clearly marked).

Unfortunately I don't have another colony I can take a frame of eggs and larvae from to see what they do with it. My thoughts were to try and introduce a new queen - is this a good idea? if so, does anyone know if there are any decent suppliers in Southampton/Hants that would still have stock? Beckys Bees is only 30 mins away but their website is showing no stock.

Thanks
Andy

Perhaps give them a call Andy. Website might not be up to date or maybe they do have a Q they’re willing to sell?

If you’re sure there’s not been a supercedure and the new queen isn’t up and running yet, then Becky’s Bees might be able to help. I find her attitude and customer service is pretty damn good.

We have had quite a few queens off lay recently, even ones that have been mated this year.

I'd send another email to cancel the first one, Andy. You won't know if there is another queen in there, your queen could easily have been missed (it happens) and people have been reporting weeks of no signs of brood/laying. It happens around the end of August every year with my bees. Is there any good reason for the queen to just die?
Personally, I'd leave the brood frames alone and concentrate on your Winter prep of treating/feeding, the bees generally do a good job of looking after themselves.

Yesterday I found two hives to be without brood or eggs, save for a few sealed cells. If there's no change by the middle of next week I'll need to bring frames of eggs from one of my other apiaries. Both are about a thirty minute drive away. What's the best way of transporting a frame?

Thanks guys - I have emailed Beckys Bees
I think you've followed a bit of poor advice there, you don't know whether they're queenless, just because you can't find a marked queen, doesn't mean she's not there.
Was there ever any eggs or larvae there?
when did you last see brood, or the queen?
If she had just died and there was brood there, the bees will have quickly made emergency queen cells.
a lot of colonies have a brood break around now.

Latest posts

Back