Missing larva

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forester Doug

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My newly mated mail order queen has been in situ for 1 month now, she is laying, but perhaps not as well as I'd have hoped, there also currently seem to be a lack of the larva stage, though there is both capped brood and eggs, what could the explanation for this be?

My newly mated mail order queen has been in situ for 1 month now, she is laying, but perhaps not as well as I'd have hoped, there also currently seem to be a lack of the larva stage, though there is both capped brood and eggs, what could the explanation for this be?
Brood break?
Lack of pollen at one stage?
That’s what I would bet on.

What is a brood break? I thought the poor weather and time of year could be factors

Brood break is when the queen stops laying for different reasons as above. Mine usually take a rest sometime after the Summer flow ends before picking up again as Autumn begins to draw in, usually some time in August.

Is that something a newly mated queen would still do?
It’s not up to her. If there are no or few resources to feed larvae the bees won’t raise any. Now I don’t know whether the queen stops laying or she continues and the house bees remove the eggs. Does anybody know? I suspect the latter but I might be wrong. I often am 😊

It’s not up to her. If there are no or few resources to feed larvae the bees won’t raise any. Now I don’t know whether the queen stops laying or she continues and the house bees remove the eggs. Does anybody know? I suspect the latter but I might be wrong. I often am 😊

I thought all other things being equal, if they want more eggs they feed the queen more and if they want fewer eggs they feed her less? Doesn't stop then removing unwanted eggs, of course.

I thought all other things being equal, if they want more eggs they feed the queen more and if they want fewer eggs they feed her less? Doesn't stop then removing unwanted eggs, of course.
Yes. On reflection I considered that after posting. If there is no pollen they can't feed the queen much so she will stop laying. Maybe it's both. Anyway, brood breaks happen

Latest posts

Back