Missing abdomen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Went out today to see two bees with no abdomen running about on patio In front of my hives. Had just done an inspection so not sure if they were casualties but would usually expect them to die straight away if crushed (I am obsessively careful in trying not to). They were about six feet from the hives. instantly started looking around for potential hornet or wasp action but all looked well and lots of activity at front of all hives, including the little swarm I am nurturing from last month which has a robbing screen installed (Yes I know it has probably less than 25% chance of survival but I am a glass half full gall) All the hives are up to date on mite control via vaping before supers put on earlier in the season and 7 days after hiving of the swarm and mite drops are low or nil. Any reason to worry? Keep going out to check no Asian hornet invasion but bees going about their business and nothing seen.

Last edited:
Delgirl you say; < Went out today to see two bees with no thorax running about on patio In front of my hives.

Wasps like the thorax flight muscles which they chew and then feed it to their larvae. The larvae in turn give the adult wasps a sweet secretion as their food.

But as honeybee legs are attached to the thorax, how were they running?

Fred.

No abdomen you mean. If they had no thorax they wouldn’t have legs to run around with. Wasps take thorax for the protein when brood rearing and abdomen for nectar when sweet feeding.

Thanks Fred. They still had two front legs somehow. Wish I had taken a photo now. Still no sign of wasps in the area but can see this is the logical explanation.

No abdomen you mean. If they had no thorax they wouldn’t have legs to run around with. Wasps take thorax for the protein when brood rearing and abdomen for nectar when sweet feeding.

I agree as the only thing of worth to them in the abdomen would be a full honey crop with nectar from a returning forager. Little muscle in there, even the so called hearts are diaphragms.

Freaky isn't it. Same as headless chicken I guess that's why I hold the chicken until the spasms stop for some dignity.

Freaky isn't it. Same as headless chicken I guess that's why I hold the chicken until the spasms stop for some dignity.

He! He!..

I took a chicken out of the freezer which was in my shed yesterday. On the way back to the house I showed the frozen chicken to my hens (Light Sussex) and said; 'Girls, this is what you look like with no feathers on.'

My three young grandsons who were present nearly creased themselves.

Fred.

Last edited:
I never behead them anyway, either quick wring of the neck or (when I can find it) the humane despatcher. My grandfather had a neat trick, he had a small, long sharp pointed knive (looked like a well worn Sabatier), into the mouth, quick twist and it would cut the main blood vessels and also pierce the cortex of the brain for instant death, all the feathers would also come loose making plucking a doddle.

I never behead them anyway, either quick wring of the neck or (when I can find it) the humane despatcher. My grandfather had a neat trick, he had a small, long sharp pointed knive (looked like a well worn Sabatier), into the mouth, quick twist and it would cut the main blood vessels and also pierce the cortex of the brain for instant death, all the feathers would also come loose making plucking a doddle.
Why do men gave to find messy ways?

If you honestly think that whacking a chicken's head off with an axe (or maybe you prefer just ripping it off - maybe with your teeth) is moving on well..........
My grandfather died in 2004, he stopped commercial poultry rearing in the mid seventies. I didn't say he did it yesterday!

Carting them off on a crammed lorry, hanging them by the legs along a conveyor belt and putting a stunner down their throats is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back