Minimum level of filtration

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojomoo

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

Can anyone confirm what is the minimum level of filtration required for selling the selling of honey to the public.

I realize that in practice this may go out of the window(I know someone who uses a stocking!) But what is the minimum if you are following the letter of the law?

Cheers, Mojo.

It depends on whether you want the honey to taste good or look good. The more you filter it the less tasty it gets. I'd say that a kitchen seive would suffice.

It seems ironic that asthetics play such a big part in winning prizes for what we eat.

Of course this is only my opinion, and I am lazy!

Cut comb seems to about the minimum, or maybe even by the frame.

You sell it to your market, If it has bits of bee in it, you might expect some reaction. I often pick up locally supplied jars and take a peek at the bottom of the jar for bits that are not honey.

I was given a jar a while back that was literally full of black bits. Natural maybe but not sure I would like to eat it. Personally I use a double strainer with a fine nylon mesh.

I am pretty sure I am leaving the goodness in and just taking out any of the nasty looking bits.

I used to filter using 200 micron cloth with 400 as the coarse filter inner.

PH

Double stainless steel sieve seems to do the trick. Make sure you get 2+ though then when one gets slowed up you can set a clean one to work.

Peter

straining

Hi we used muslin cloth to strain all our honey .You will be amazed at how clean it leaves your honey.We used this method for years even when showing honey.

I do not think there is a minimum LEGAL level of filtration, but obviously most want to remove any black bits (bits of bee). I have found the 500 gauge mesh sieve does this ok (the thinner of the thxrnes double strainer).

I also have a 200 gauge cloth, which is the most I use.

A jar in our local farm shop of "natural unfiltered" was just crush and jar.

Wax and bee legs included!

The newbies, and possibly others, need to differentiate bertween 'guage' and 'microns'.

Microns is a (sub) multiple of the SI standard of length (the metre). Gauge is generally an imperial term meaning 'per inch'. The two have entirely different scales (one ascending while the other descends!).

Mixing the units and/or terms can lead to the wrong result for those befuddled by some who seem to misunderstand the different systems and apparently mix metric numbers with Imperial measuring sticks.

Need I explain further?

It depends on whether you want the honey to taste good or look good. !

What is that alternative.They have nothing to do with each other. Taste comes from carbage and heater gun?

Keep´the honey in big container. Let airbubles and rubbish come to surfae.
Then you put grease paper on surface, The last rubbish will attach to paper.

The stuff which is in honey is all not from hive. You will see insect legs, spider legs, your own hairs and what ever.

To set up the level of carbage in honey-----well, very natural---

My spercial offer: wasps on surface!!! Very special HORNETS!!

Banana flies are everywhere in late summer.

Need I explain further?
Yes please, if you wouldn't mind.
I'm having trouble with "gauge" and "guage" there in your explanation :)

ORGANIC HONEY

Ruary

The definition of honey says that there does not exist strange stuffs in honey. If it has it must be labeled "economy honey or house hold honey" or what is the term in England.´We have "taloushunaja". It may contain for example parts of brood, larvae, and so on.

When you look the honey, its very pure in combs.
What happens after hive is not organic.

It is not secret that tights are popular sieve in honey filtration.
But it does not mean "recycled".

I'm having trouble with "gauge" and "guage" there in your explanation

One was a typo. I'll leave you to look it up (I do know which one!). That way you are more likely to be able to remember it!

BTW, I would not be too quick to change your screen name - there appear to be some very 'coloured' u-tube vids with that particular handle! (kubota04)

I was wondering which kubota model you have (my Oliver is a model '90'), so popped kubota 04 into 'goggle'. It has left me wondering about your profession!!! Perhaps some clarification is needed on that score! :) (before you get a load of unwanted offers?)

RAB

I'm having trouble with "gauge" and "guage" there in your explanation

One was a typo. I'll leave you to look it up (I do know which one!). That way you are more likely to be able to remember it!

BTW, I would not be too quick to change your screen name - there appear to be some very 'coloured' u-tube vids with that particular handle! (kubota04)

I was wondering which kubota model you have (my Oliver is a model '90'), so popped kubota 04 into 'goggle'. It has left me wondering about your profession!!! Perhaps some clarification is needed on that score! :) (before you get a load of unwanted offers?)

RAB

Maybe I "goggled" it first? ;)

We stopped 'fine' filtration a few years ago. Now we strain it through a sieve straight out of the extractor and into the honey bucket. It then gets bottled from the bucket without any further filtration. Jo public likes the fine wax scum on the surface. Our label reflect the fact that it has had only 'minimum' interference- nothing added and only the larger lumps taken out!
Alec

Back