Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

kermit 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Just been to a queen rearing lecture - interested in trying it out. Any ideas of where to find mini nuc plans?

Dave

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
Mini nucs are probably cheaper to buy then make.

Also they are in effect a top bar hive, and I run them as such.

They are highly economical in bees needing but one mug full to start them off, and if started with a virgin can produce three or even four mated queens in a season.

I find them the most rewarding part of beekeeping.

PH

kermit 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Try http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/. They have plans for 5 frame nuc's, 3 frame doubles and lots more besides. If they are the wrong size for your frames just convert the internal measurements to the same as your hives.

Pete
Useful site - on my bookmarks already, but doesn't include mini-nuc. These are very different to a nuc.

RAB tried to google already, but had no real joy. Dave Cushman's are more difficult than normal to follow.

Thanks
Dave

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
You could buy one of the swienty one's for £11, then copy it in whatever material you intend to use.
I also use the swienty one's and apidea,some people hate them, chatting with Peter Kemble about mini nuc's a while back,he hates them,rekons they are the devils own invention,and gave up using them a long time ago,prefers nuc's that take two full frames ,which i also use,easy to combine at the end of the season.

Last edited: