Mini nuc - QC fallen to floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stedic

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
So I went beekeeping with my mentor today in his hives.

He’d run out of kit when we found a brilliant hive had loads of capped cells. As I had them in the car I made up 3 mating nucs, as much as anything just to give it a go. 2 have capped QCs, 1 has a virgin who emerged during an inspection.

I now have them at home, tucked away in the garage which is dark ish. They are making quite a roar but they have fondant and have been listed, so I think I’ve done what is needed.

However - I think I spotted one of the QCs on the ventilation panel underneath, suggesting it may have slipped down. Should I open them (tomorrow?) to move it back? I’m minded not to as if it has been damaged I assume they will destroy it anyway.

Any chance it will be OK if it is on the floor but not damaged?

It'll depend on the age and if they keep it warm or not. If it's really close to emerging it'll probably be ok. If not........

If you open them up in the garage you will lose 1/2 your bees - you'll need to open the entrance on the site they will remain at before going in. The bees should stay if you have driven them in a car from your mentor. (Unless you are a lazy bugger and drove a hundred yards!). With luck the queen will be out. If she is not that ready in the queencell, the chances are that she is a gonner i fear.

Last edited:
Thanks all.

I decided to envoke the Beekeeping methods of Shrodinger. I thought that if everything was OK in there, all I could do was mess it up. If everything isn't alright, I don't really know how I could quickly fix it.

I'm due to open them up for flying this evening. I'll let them settle for 24 hours then have a quick peek.

It is a new learning experience, if nothing else.

Back