Mineral Oils

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.Cookson

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 at the minute
Morning all,

My mentor has for over 40 years, been coating the inside of his hives with a quality mineral based machine oil, thinned with white spirit.
He also coats the outside every few years with Creosote, then lets them air for a couple of weeks before putting them back into service.

I've just acquired 3 of his Nationals that he said are 30 to 40 years old and they are in perfect condition.

He makes all his own hives to original standard specifications and are solidly well built.

What's your thoughts.

Morning all,

My mentor has for over 40 years, been coating the inside of his hives with a quality mineral based machine oil, thinned with white spirit.
He also coats the outside every few years with Creosote, then lets them air for a couple of weeks before putting them back into service.

I've just acquired 3 of his Nationals that he said are 30 to 40 years old and they are in perfect condition.

He makes all his own hives to original standard specifications and are solidly well built.

What's your thoughts.
Sounds good, some used to creosote the hives with bees in;)

Creosote used to be used a lot - now difficult to get hold of. Mineral oil inside - probably not needed but will have preserved the timber as well. Happy beekeeping.

Don't handle them with bare hands as creosote is carcinogenic

My previous supplier of the original creosote went out of business 5 years ago after being in business since 1909. Now can only get modern substitute. Am near Shrewsbury. Anybody know of a supplier of the proper stuff anywhere near me?

Morning all,

What's your thoughts.
He's a bloody lunatic - fair enough slapping creosote on the outside, but nothing is needed on the inside, especially not mineral oil - the bees sort that out for themselves with propolis.

My previous supplier of the original creosote went out of business 5 years ago after being in business since 1909. Now can only get modern substitute. Am near Shrewsbury. Anybody know of a supplier of the proper stuff anywhere near me?
Try a farmer's co-op or any poultry supplies firm. It is still allowed for painting the interiors of chicken coops to kill red mite

Latest posts

Back