miller/ashforth feeders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patl

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Can anyone tell me the spacing between the baffles (or whatever you call the two/four vertical pieces of wood that dam the syrup in a miller/ashforth feeder.
From Dave Cushman's site they look like they're further apart than a beespace as he has the slot 12mm and they appear to be at least that if not further apart. If they're greater than a beespace is there a danger of getting brace comb built between them?

It is not that important. One is a weir and the other is the end of the liquid containment. It is a feeder, so the liquid volume is sensibly maximised. Not used mine for several years but never got any comb in mine. Two bee spaces would be about right. Any more than that would be efeating the object of a bulk feeder. Excessive width might render the space as storage area to the bees.

The important thing re the weir is that the surfaces are climbable by the bees, just like any feeder sides.

I also have not used miller feeders for last few years as they are such a pain having to check for leaks and regularly need rewaterproofing . Now use so called "English feeders" bought in bulk to cut unit costs with eke surrounds (that I also use for several other purposes such as surrounds for celotex insulation, apiguard trays etc)
I only once got brace comb in the baffle of a Miller (so risk very low considering I used 15 miller feeders each autumn over 30 yrs)

Mine are 15mm and I do get some brace come about 50% of the time, but not so that it's bugged me much.
12mm might fix it, Cushman knew his shizzle.

Latest posts

Back