Mild robbing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I newly hived our nuc about a week ago and have noticed a small amount of robbing by some slightly larger bees than mine, usually about 1 or 2 every minute or so will force there way into the hive during the late morning to early afternoon when the temperature has risen. I have reduced the entrance gap to a bees width to try and deter this but the amount of activity at the hive entrance and means the intruders can sneak in. When they come out again they look a bit stunned and go through some sort of cleaning ritual before making off. Should I be overly concerned at this stage?

Also, I haven't had the lid off since hiving them to investigate the inside of the brood, I presume there is no reason to put this off because of the mild robbing?

I have assumed they are not drones as they do not receive a very warm welcome from my lot as they try to enter, perhaps the stores are low to cause this type of behaviour?

Ahh, I see. Not been on a course then?
Remember drones are boys and workers are girls, so you can normally easily tell the difference - the boys wear trousers and the girls wear skirts!

RAB

Ahh, I see. Not been on a course then?
Remember drones are boys and workers are girls, so you can normally easily tell the difference - the boys wear trousers and the girls wear skirts!

RAB

Ahem! Equal ops please. Boys can also wear skirts and girls can wear trousers. Boys can also use guyliner and manscara but you can easily spot those ones, they fly in a completely different manner!!:willy_nilly:

Latest posts

Back