Mike Palmer talk at the National honey show.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great to see the positive feedback from you all. On behalf of the National Honey Show education committee, thank you.

More talks from the 2013 Show will be on You Tube soon

Glad to hear

Yep, 57 min, 580 MB in HD. I downloaded the video using DVDVideoSoft's downloader, which tries to install some adware on your computer.

A longer, more verbose edition of his talk is available on Vimeo, but the sound quality is not as good as the Youtube version. The audio bitrate in the SD files from Vimeo is 107 kbps, but in the HD files (which are huge, e.g. 1 GB each) the audio bitrate is 157 kbps, which might indicate a better audio quality.

http://vimeo.com/23178333 (part 1, 74 min, 390 MB in SD)
http://vimeo.com/23191815 (part 2, 47 min, 250 MB in SD)

If you have Chrome, you can use an extension to download the Vimeo videos.

Last edited:
Mike, what are we looking at here?

ta289v.png

Is that one of your standard nuc boxes, or is that the type of box you use for bee bombs, or is it a different box that you just happened to have handy when you wanted a picture of bee bombs?

Looks like a mating nuc frames he has added to make a full nuc, remember what he said "use any equipment that is available" He was just making a remark that if you add a frame of brood like the one shown your hive will explode with bees

A beekeeper named Parks posted some Youtubes. I haven't watched but I assume you could find them.

Nice little lesson on managing overwintered nucs Parks caught. This one in Fall after goldenrod flow.

The forum is disallowing me to post the link until I have more posts... but really I am just in lurker mode here right now....

So search for Parks Talley on You Tube. He titles it Catching a Bee Hive before it Swarms

Or PM me for the link

Hopefully this is the one Karla

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3QlLUcT2SQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3QlLUcT2SQ[/ame]

Hopefully this is the one Karla

yes exactly. Thanks for posting. Soon maybe I will be up to the required posts to post a link, but for now just seeing what all of you have to share.

Mr. Finman, in your haste to be critical, you aren't listening. Let me explain my setup a little better.

LOL... If you are doing so purely for Finman's benefit you are wasting your time. ;)

Division board feeder for mating nucs

Mike, do you have a close up picture of your division board feeder for your mating nucs? And, how did you stop them from leaking?

(Great talk by the way).

Interesting but it strikes me as strange that somebody flies over from America or Canada (not sure which) to talk on Sustainability and his talk basically encourages you to make some nuc up to use to boast your set up for next year.
Or am I missing something?

Yes. His talk is on beekeeping sustainabilty and producing your own bees to support local genetics. His talk was nothing to do with carbon footprints.

What is more important. A seat reserved on a plane for someone spreading education, supporting the welfare of bee keeping and local environment or a seat reserved for some fat idle tattooed chav that wants to sit on a beach sweating for a fortnight (That you can quite easily do in this country if you are inclined)?

Last edited:
for some fat idle tattooed chav that wants to sit on a beach sweating for a fortnight (That you can quite easily do in this country if you are inclined)?

You could - a bit wetter and colder I admit but you could get him swaeting just as much if
A) You threaten to dock his benefits if he didn't find a job within a month
or
b) you wired him up to some high explosives connected to a sensitive trembler switch.

You could - a bit wetter and colder I admit but you could get him swaeting just as much if
A) You threaten to dock his benefits if he didn't find a job within a month
or
b) you wired him up to some high explosives connected to a sensitive trembler switch.

:icon_204-2:

I'll have a b) please Bob.

How many hives would you need to be able to produce your own queens?

Well, you could produce your own queens with one colony, but what would be the point. To run a sensible breeding program? I wouldn't want to do it with less than a hundred colonies. One apiary for raising the cells and the rest for stock selection. I suppose you could do it with less, but I wouldn't. Easy for me to say since I have so many apiaries.

>>Originally Posted by farbee
Interesting but it strikes me as strange that somebody flies over from America or Canada (not sure which) to talk on Sustainability and his talk basically encourages you to make some nuc up to use to boast your set up for next year.
Or am I missing something?<<

Well that's a pretty odd take on my work and the time I take to teach folks another way. Too big a carbon footprint? I'll be back in the UK this February for another round of talks. Perhaps I should just stay home and allow British Airways to burn jet fuel without me on-board? Nah, maybe not. I love your country and your people too much to cancel. Come see me Farbee and we can have a pint together. Of course you'll have to burn petrol to get there. :)

I always think of commercial beekeepers as having a massive negative carbon footprint with all the greenery their bees have pollinated. Each seed germinated that turns into a tree could be seen as offsetting tonnes of burnt fuel.

Thanks. I have a long way to go then because I only have two colonies at present :). I guess the sensible thing to do for hobbyists unable to have their own breeding plan is buy local queens from someone who does.

If anything, isn't it the beeks with just a few hives who will benefit most from having a nuc or two in reserve over winter?
I mean, someone with over a hundred hives won't even notice a few hives not surviving a winter, but a few hives not surviving for a small holding would be a major blow.

Sounds like having 2 nucs back to back is a sensible minimum configuration, easily done with a separator in normal hive boxes (so needing a minimum of 'special kit'), and with the advantage that conjoined nucs help keep each other warm.

Latest posts

Back