Midlands/Castle donington

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Mentors
I firmly believe that a good mentor is invaluable.

I was very lucky to have had some excellent ones. Mine were B. Mobus, now sadly gone, and a very good Beefarmer who was then running 500 boxes. To repay them all I can do is to offer my mentoring, (such as it might be) to others.

If you are with in an hours drive of Castle Donington I am available. I am also available on the phone.

Anyone else on the forum willing to offer their services?

PH

B. Mobus

HI Poly Hive

I'm an a newbie living in North Leicester not far from you in Thurmaston.

I have a hive but no bees as of yet and should be getting 2 nucs and some more hives in the next month. I would very much appreciate any help you can give me, I am at the mo in the LRBKA and on their beginners course.

I have been reseaching keeping bees for 6 months before taking the plunge so I hopefully have at least a bit of an idea, but any help or advice will be great.

Cheers

Mark.

HI Poly Hive

I'm an a newbie living in North Leicester not far from you in Thurmaston.

Although I am only a beginner myself (and also not trying to muscle in here) I'm only down the road from you. You'll not learn much from me, but you would be welcome to turn up when I'm going through my hives, for a bit of hands on practice, it's no good asking me questions though :)

Also I in turn would like to take up Poly Hives offer, just to look at the set up really and the Poly hives.................am I being a nuisance? :)

Frisbee

I am now home again and getting the bees up to speed.

My plan over the next few weeks is to Queen Rear some 20 odd and make up a number of nucs to be determined by the mating success involved. Hopefully 20 but we will see.

If you are interested in an hour or so in the bees let me know.

If you want to phone me for a chat then I can offer that time too.

PH

Hi

I also live in Castle Donington and would be very interested in learning about beekeeping. I don't have any bees but if I could do a bit of learning first and gain some experience.....who knows.

Many thanks

Barbara

I have been away for a few days. Do get in touch if you are interested.

PH

Hi, I'm in Derby but looking for e-mail support essentially.I went on a couse at Broomfields College in May but now it's now I find I need some no doubt basic questions answering.My Bee's appear very well, have had them since July.My course tutor suggests I read my notes and use my intuition,I have and do but need a little expert advise now and then.Everything is easy if you know how & have experience.

Many Thanks Kay Bate

Welcome to the forum.

Ask away on the forum. You will get most of the options and then you can decide which way to go.

Please remember, we can not see the actual situation, so need a comprehensive description of the 'on the ground' details to make any informed guesses as to any particular solution. If you do not wish to put the details on the www for all to see, feel free to pm me, or others with more experience (or less).

Regards, RAB

Welcome to the forum Kay.

I agree with the above.

Also we have a mentor offered/wanted section.

pop a post in there and see if anyone local can offer any practical help if needed.

Hi

As just posted with Brian Bush, I'm a new beekeeper in Kettering, Northants. With a Langstroth Hive I have as yet to get my bees and have been unable to get on any courses.

Any help will be appreciated in my early days if you are able to get to Kettering. It is about an hour away to Castle Donington.

Let me know, Thanks!

Stef

Hi Poly Hive,
I am based in Somerset and, like you have been lucky enough to have had a really good mentor. I have a friend who has recently moved to Loughborough (both of us are employed by a company based in Lockington). She has never kept her own bees but was learning from her father. No longer possible as she has left her family home in Guildford. Anyway, I know that your original post was quite some time ago but was wondering if you still mentored beginners. I have advised that she join the forum but thought I would put some feelers out.
Regards,

Good morning Poly Hive

I was browsing the forum and found this thread - I am in Long Whatton Leics and been learning continously for the past 25 years of beekeeping. I am more than willing to provide assistance and mentoring if I can. I will aslo send you a PM.

Regards

Merlin

Hi Poly Hive,
I live in Ashby so not to far from you. I have started doing a course at Morley college and am interested in getting a hive but need advice about placement of a hive so any advice would be gratefully recieved.

auntie deli

Help

Hello Im Dominik and live in Breedon. I used to help keep bees until I was about 11 years old. Im looking to start with Bees next spring possibly with three hives. Ive done a bit of reading however any help advice or a bit of hands on would be VERY VERY welcome!!
Kindest Regards
Dominik

Mentor / Advice

Hi

Ive been thinking about this for a while and have read up a little and would like to see if anybody in the area would be willing to help with getting started...

I live in the Chester Green area of Derby

Thanks all

Billy

Latest posts

Back