Microscopy books

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrB

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can anyone recommend a good book
on microscopy for beekeepers?

Bcrazy?? / anyone??

Hi MrB
I don't know if these are any good but I'm going on a microscopy for beekeepers course at Flatford Mill next week and the reading list recommends:
Dade HA 62 Anatomy and Dissection of the Honeybee International Bee Research Association
Winsby R 96 Microscopy: First steps into a secret world Manchester Microscopal and Natural History Society
and then various pollen analysis books.
Cazza

Thanks for that Cazza,
P.S would be interested to here what you think of the course!

Thanks for that Cazza,
P.S would be interested to here what you think of the course!

The microscopy course at Flatford was really good.
John Cowan,tutor, was a pleasure to meet and learn from. The content was comprehensive and SO interesting.( I never thought pollen identification would float my boat but I'm now hooked.)
The location is gorgeous and the course members (7) were all lovely too.
Well worth the money.
Cazza

Microscopy course - top banana

My first post!

Having been on John Cowan's microscopy course at Flatford Mill I can tell you it really is excellent.

Great tutor, great subject, great place; all you could hope for, really.

As well as a microscopy expert and Dr in Botany etc John is also an NBD, so really does know what he is talking about and imparts it all with an old fashioned courtesy and an almost boyish enthusiasm that is highly infectious.

Exactly the sort of teacher you'll wish you'd had.

You'll need a bit of kit afterwards to do what you learn on the course ie 'scopes, and a centrifuge if you want to analyse the pollen in honey, but all that will be for another day.

Don't worry too much about books before you go. Dade is good to have but you won't use it on the course, all you will need is in the hand-outs.

You'll have a better idea of what you are after once you have done the course, and Dr Cowan has a few to browse, as does the Flatford library.

Enjoy:)

Thanks for the feedback MrMicawber.
And welcome to the forum :cheers2:

Thanks MrMicawber/Cazza.
I have bought a couple of scopes now so could be interested in a course. :cheers2:

Mr B,
I consider the book by Snodgrass The Anatomy of the Honey Bee to bee better drawings and much more informative. Dade is adequate but lacks information.

Mr B,
I consider the book by Snodgrass The Anatomy of the Honey Bee to bee better drawings and much more informative. Dade is adequate but lacks information.

Thanks, thats one i have been looking out for :cheers2:

Latest posts

Back