Microscope

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busy Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Yesterday I was in Smyths toys and came across a childs (11-15) microscope it was 100x 200x 600x 1000x 1200x comes with some tools etc etc for 19.99 Is this a good buy or really only for kids. Does anyone know the model I am talking about your thoughts please.....ooh it needs batteries for the light, I think...

Busy Bee

members please be reminded that what is on sale is a children's toy not a microscope for detailed analysis of bee diseases. I have not come across this type so I have no knowledge of its capabilities. You get what you pay for.

I would like to buy a microscope, suitable for checking for nosema and also viewing pollen. I too don't want to spend a fortune but could do with some advice please! Make, model, where to buy and approximate cost, and most especially why your recommendation.

Many thanks.

I have one of these,

http://www.365astronomy.com/bresser...1.html?zenid=8f8419245433235883287859b5159479

As an introductry microscope it's a fair bit of kit.
they were on offer at Lidil in Jan this year for about £50.
Optic are clear controls fair USB cannot get to work wrong computer
system. I belive several forum members have this model how are you getting on with it.

I have one of these too and found it more than adequate for my needs. I got it from Lidl for £50. If I get more enthusiastic about microscopy then I'll look for something better.

I spent many hours trying to get the USB device working as the supplied software is not good.

I'll post some pictures tonight so you can get some idea of what it is capable of doing.

Time to get out and see what's happening to the bees ...

With regard to the Lidl microscope, I bought one for my daughter and it's really quite capable at low magnifications but it is as you might expect at that price. At the very highest magnifications is suffers from quite pronounced image distortion and chromatic aberration. I've not managed to get it away from my girl long enough to try it with anything 'useful' but I have found that the USB software works only with Windows XP and I can find no 'updates' for Vista or Win 7. Having said that, working it is quite amazing.

I had one of the LIDL microscopes - a Bresser - and it was amazing value. Ideal if you want to look at the bacteria in bees guts etc.
However, the magnifications are way too high for just looking at bees or dissecting (I think). For dissection and general observation of bees. I think it is normal to get a binocular/ stereo microscope with magnifications of 10. 20 and 30. If you think about it, a 10X magnifcation of a bee's tongue would give you an image a couple of centimetres long?

I tried using the Bresser USB model but it was really far too high - good for detecting nosema perhaps but not for dissection or observation.

Thanks for that Plumber; sorry but I'm a Linux guy and had noticed that there were drivers available.

Perhaps there might be someone that has knowledge of a solution for the Apple G3.

I'm guessing/assuming that the 10.3.9 is OS X v3.9. Good luck.

I got the same microscope from Lidl for a friend for Christmas. She has Windows vista so the software that came with it wouldn't work. We Googled the make/model and compatible software and various forums had the answer regarding alternative, compatible software to download and it did the trick. I borrowed the microscope and i have a MacBook. I download macam.0.9.2 dmg.

Google ' macam ' and they have a list of microscopes that will work with it / system requirements on their webpages.

Latest posts

Back