Mice....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t worry a certain forum member trained his whippet to carry a chocolate muffin back from the bakers on fridays with no ill effect for years!!

Could you clarify the point you are making?

Was it
a) the chocolate had no effect on the whippet?
b) a weekly chocolate muffin covered in half a pint of dog slobber had no effect on the forum member or
c) all went well for years but then suddenly something went pear shaped?

I have never seen a whippet slobber yet.

They leave such undignified behaviour to labs and Newfies.

PH

You think you have problems with rodents? Caught 17-18(? lost count) in the house in the last 3 weeks. I think they've been flooded out of their burrows by all this rain.
It was getting ridiculous. You'd walk into a room and catch them disappearing under the furniture or off the worktop.

Best bait - cashew nuts. They go a bit soft and stick to the trap so they have to pull at it.

And they've destroyed 4 drawn brood combs that i didn't keep safe.

Last edited:
Caught about 20 the past few weeks (humane traps), released into the wood next to the house for the waiting owls.

Caught about 20 the past few weeks (humane traps), released into the wood next to the house for the waiting owls.

I've never had much success with humane traps for mice .. I've tried several flavours over the years ... the spring trap seems to work every time. What sort of catch and release trap do you use ?

Some will probably come straight back as the woods may well be within their home range.

You seem institutionalized in this nanny state we now live in..brain power is the key divider...do what you believe and i will do what i don't believe.

As I said previously it’s a heads up not to leave any lying around and personal choice but rather better to be informed. I was not aware myself until the episode a couple of years back with our own dog. Again plenty of info for any wanting to confirm with a quick search, as to your other special! comments I will leave those with you;)

As I said previously it’s a heads up not to leave any lying around and personal choice but rather better to be informed. I was not aware myself until the episode a couple of years back with our own dog. Again plenty of info for any wanting to confirm with a quick search, as to your other special! comments I will leave those with you;)

I also see chocolate mentioned to be also poisonous to pooches..over the years when my lurchers have had a hard grueling night when lamping bunnies i give a Mars bar to each of them and it puts them right back on there feet..;)

You've been very lucky Millet, though I understand dark chocolate - the 70% proof stuff is the killer.

When our dog had to go to the overnights emergency vet on Easter Sunday night ...there was a string of dogs being carried in for priority treatment after getting hold of and eating chocolate Easter eggs ... one died that we know of .. the others were very ill. I would not risk giving any chocolate to one of my dogs or grapes/currants for that matter.

I am not commenting on the mars bars as that seems to be on a par with the bee stuff.

Ask any veterinary person about chocolate. Our very high powered vet hospital in Castle Donington told us they stock up on drugs for Christmas to treat the dogs that get poisoned from choccy. Ours were bloody lucky as one had had 19 and the other one truffle.

That happened as the then MIL who was pretty frail had opened the box with out us knowing and left them open when we went to eat. The dogs couldn't resist.

PH

My Staffies would eat anything and get away with it, the Patterdales are different. My little bitch hoovered up a single flake of almond and was in an awful state in no time at all, trembling and sick.

I am not commenting on the mars bars as that seems to be on a par with the bee stuff.

Ask any veterinary person about chocolate. Our very high powered vet hospital in Castle Donington told us they stock up on drugs for Christmas to treat the dogs that get poisoned from choccy. Ours were bloody lucky as one had had 19 and the other one truffle.

That happened as the then MIL who was pretty frail had opened the box with out us knowing and left them open when we went to eat. The dogs couldn't resist.

PH

I know chocolate is dodgy in large amounts..i have had pooches for over thirty years and the chocolate mine have eaten has not killed or made one ill yet..neither was the two bags of rat poison my Collie X Lurcher ate last year in April..
It happened on a Sunday and cost me over £200 at the vets..they jabbed her with something too make her vomit which lasted 15min's..the floor in the vets was blue with vomit..while the pooch was spewing the vet researched the poison and thank the lord she would have had to eat her own body weight in the type she had eaten for it to cause a problem..now that is what i would consider lucky.

My Staffies would eat anything and get away with it, the Patterdales are different. My little bitch hoovered up a single flake of almond and was in an awful state in no time at all, trembling and sick.

I have a 14yr old Pat here with a cast iron gut however when he was around 8mth old (don't ask me how lol) he ended up eating around 2oz of cannabis..he sat for around two ours moving now and again while staring at the floor slavering now and again..he was basically stoned and made a full recovery after the 2hr mark.. needless to say that stuff is long gone and it never happened again..

If you want to trap rats the first one is always the hardest. Once you have one in the trap leave it in there for twelve hours. Don't move the trap, just shoot the rat with an air rifle and remove the rat. The whole thing now smells of rats and others will go in to investigate. Caught seven in as many days. Don't even have to put bait in the trap now. They just go in to follow the scent!
E

Latest posts

Back