Metallic ball from my extractor is lost

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeBeeKa

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
8 poly hives
The metallic ball from my extractor is lost. It`s 10mm ball. Im sure I coud get it from a bearing to replace the lost one.

The question is how and where I could find such a bearing/ a ball...
My first thought was - a scrapyard...
But I do not mind any other ideas.
Please share if you got one... or more :^)

Thanks a lot, my friends.
I used to use ebay though :^)
But never thought it will send me so far buck in my memories... When I`ve seen this, trying to find the ball...
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Big-Power-R...351267?hash=item1ce386df23:g:uAEAAOSwPqpePsBW
As I was pretty good at Hunting Catapult in my childhood...

But this one... It`s like Bentley in the world of catapults :^)))
My imagination simply fails to believe in it :^)))

Thornes sell them too. Genuine beekeeping bearings. I had to get some last year. Already this year I've spent a happy half hour with a magnet trying to find a ball bearing in the grass.

When I lost mine, I went to a local engineering firm. After talking nice I was given a small selection ... FOC.

The right one is still going strong after several years.

I hope you use food grade grease on it.

The ball bearing on my s/hand extractor was half new size when I replaced it: no sign of any grease..

Honey with added iron - a new formula...

I regrease it every year...the replacement bearing still looks new after three years..

There are several food grade lubes available just google away or get friendly with a decent butcher who will have lubes and sprays for the sausage machines and the like.

Always keep a supply of old ball bearings in the shed as the grade of stainless is pretty poor and the bearing does degrade. keep a tube of white food grade grease as well.

Latest posts

Back