metal workshop as extraction room.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David1976

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I am currently deciding on how to set up an extraction area and I wonder has anyone here used a metal shed / workshop and, if so, what pros and cons did you find with it?

I could convert my garage however this will create storage issues for its current contents and there are a few problems with it anyway.

The third option is to use a wooden shed however sheds these days appear to be made of thinner, cheaper wood and have a shorter guarantee than the 15 year on the metal sheds. They are also considerably more expensive.

Size will likely be around 15' x 10' as I can then grow into it should I need to and also store supers etc inside.

Any pictures would be a bonus.

The room should be such that you can warm up. I heat the honey frames to 35C before caping and the extraction room is 25C. I have polystyrene boards on walls and in ceiling.

- to warm up before uncapping
- honey dripples from uncapping wax
- warm up during ectraction
- warm up during sieving
- air and wax pieces rise up in warm honey
- finally foam and litter picking with crease paper.

Without heat the process is pure pain

I am currently deciding on how to set up an extraction area and I wonder has anyone here used a metal shed / workshop and, if so, what pros and cons did you find with it?

I could convert my garage however this will create storage issues for its current contents and there are a few problems with it anyway.

The third option is to use a wooden shed however sheds these days appear to be made of thinner, cheaper wood and have a shorter guarantee than the 15 year on the metal sheds. They are also considerably more expensive.

Size will likely be around 15' x 10' as I can then grow into it should I need to and also store supers etc inside.

Sorry I can’t help with the metal shed idea Except maybe to suggest it’s well insulated but I’m sure you’ve thought about that. Whatever you choose double the size? 15x10 seems pretty small to me. Somebody on the forum kitted out a shipping container but I think the photos are long gone

take a look also a site offices/porta cabins. They usually come with kitchens pre installed. The ones im looking at have jack legs.

Just had a 10x30 shipping container done with personnel door and 10ft side dbl doors. Ready hygiene clad and insulated. 10k from manufacture. Just so you have an idea.

Just had a 10x30 shipping container done with personnel door and 10ft side dbl doors. Ready hygiene clad and insulated. 10k from manufacture. Just so you have an idea.
Now you’re talking Ian. I wish I could smuggle one into the wild garden where the hens live 😁

If I had the room to put it I would go along Ian's route of a container.
I was offered the room to build a timber box within an old barn. It measures 2.4 x 3.6m with a double sink and a work bench as well as extractor and settling tank.
It's cosy in there with two working on extraction and gets extremely warm! I would certainly have gone for a larger size I'd had a choice but it's very usable and certainly better than using the kitchen.

I built an insulated metal shed last year. Details can be found in this thread: Garden Shed Build

I fixed the damp issue with the floor by blasting out the sand between joints with a power washer and brushing in dry sand/cement mix and then dampen with a light spray. It would have been better to put in a concrete base but had no access for a concrete lorry.

The shed maintains a nice even temperature even when hot outside. I've not tried to heat it up but suspect it would be easy enough with an electric heater.

Shed is currently full of garden equipment but I will be using it for extraction in the future. Would be easy to power wash the inside walls and roof if need be.

Back