metal tool protection oils

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure about saws but I keep things like my billhook and machete in a bucket of sand mixed with a bit of old engine oil.
Seems to work well.

Edit - sorry DrS cross-post!

My carpenter grandfather wiped chisels, saws and other tools not required for a while with an oily rag kept for the purpose. The oiliness was maintained by drips of light oil on some larger items. 3 in 1 or similar was what he used.

I still have and use many of his tools, some around a hundred years old. It seems to work.

I'm not sure about saws but I keep things like my billhook and machete in a bucket of sand mixed with a bit of old engine oil.
Seems to work well.

Edit - sorry DrS cross-post!
There's old engine oil and then there's OLD engine oil :)
Sulphuric acid is a by-product of combustion .
Nullifying the old practice of running the engine of a laid up vehicle ,for a few minutes every week . Yes I can remember when it was possible to tax a vehicle for 3 month periods :) The short run time didn't generate enough heat in the sump to burn off the acid ,much to the demise of the bearings !
People often laid their cars up Dec,Jan Feb.
VM

Would beeswax work?

Possibly, my father used candle wax to stop saws binding in damp wood (my chainsaw doesn't have this problem).

However it would leave areas without protection. WD40 or similar is best, maybe keep them in the house!!!!!:leaving:

haven't used my saws for some time, but got them out to build tbh, i use old pillow case rip into cloths soak in duck oil or oil and paraffin 50/50 mix, squeeze out as much as you can rap around saw put away in wooden box will last for years, old carpenters trick

I've seen this product used on car bodies to protect them when they have been bare metalled ready for painting. It really is amazing stuff and it can be painted over!

Do a Google search for Gibbs Brand

I use this stuff on my handcuffs (They keep the rust off and Mrs j has never complained!!:eek:) and believe me they get some abuse with all the saltwater etc they get in contact with - also releases corroded fitttings pretty sharpish -it's called VP90 and I believe was first formulated for the formula one industry

This remarkable product is used by over 500,000 shooters worldwide to protect guns and other metal objects, either in a gun safe, bag, locker or tackle box.
Advanced vapor phase action deposits an invisible mono molecular coating on any exposed metal, leaving glass,plastic wood, leather etc totally unaffected.

A £6.00 aerosol has lasted me and the crew the best part of five years already.

Back