Messy swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliffey

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi everyone
A bit of help and advice required please. I am away for a few days and I a call yesterday to say that one of my hives had swarmed. I asked a friend to look by and collect it. Unfortunately, he was unable to do so as the bees were all over the place in a Laurel hedge. He tried to collect as many as possible but obviously didn’t manage to get the Queen. Neighbours are a bit worried and I’m not back until tomorrow pm. Weather is very iffy with sharp showers.

Then honestly there is nothing you can do until you get back. If it is on private land I might leave a hive next to it and be hopeful.

Hi everyone
A bit of help and advice required please. I am away for a few days and I a call yesterday to say that one of my hives had swarmed. I asked a friend to look by and collect it. Unfortunately, he was unable to do so as the bees were all over the place in a Laurel hedge. He tried to collect as many as possible but obviously didn’t manage to get the Queen. Neighbours are a bit worried and I’m not back until tomorrow pm. Weather is very iffy with sharp showers.
Get him to attach (with string or wire), a frame of brood (from one of your existing healthy hives), on a pole as close as possible to the clusters in the hedge. The bees will crawl and fly onto it...bit by bit. When there are a good number of bees on it, tell him put the frame into a box (keeping as many bees as possible on it), as near as possible to directly underneath where the bees are in the hedge. Give it a good half day and they should all go into the box.

Get your friend to go back this morning if he can. If the bees are still there they'll be clustered by now.

Get your friend to go back this morning if he can. If the bees are still there they'll be clustered by now.
I agree, if you have a nuc box available with drawn comb, place it into the hedge, tied onto a branch or on a stand and the bees will move in, I've used this method with leylandii hedging.

A bee vac may be handy in this situation.

Hi everyone
Hey Cliffey, what happened/what did you do in the end-if you're back now?

Latest posts

Back