message for beginners

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
more than 4
Dont bother asking advice on the forum
It just give some old hands with nothing better to do with their time the opportunity to take the p*ss
Pathetic

Last edited:
Sorry I dont really concur with this.

Welcome all, come on in, ask questions, give as much detail as possible, filter the different answers you will get and share your experiences.

Sorry I dont really concur with this.

Welcome all, come on in, ask questions, give as much detail as possible, filter the different answers you will get and share your experiences.

:iagree: Having kept bees for more than 30 years I class myself as an "old hand" with the emphasis on the old. I would not and have not extracted the urine and take exception to your rant.

Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

I'm not sure where you're coming from with this. I've just read your thread from this morning, and it looks as though you raised a question which was fairly fully discussed from various angles. What's the problem?

I'm not sure where you're coming from with this. I've just read your thread from this morning, and it looks as though you raised a question which was fairly fully discussed from various angles. What's the problem?

I think it's the AMM quote from Norton? Which appeared to be general and not specific to the OP..

This forum is a mine of information and "out of box" thinking
It has helped me tremendously.
I'm sure most of us can take the odd kicking.
I'm sure most of us can sift the dross.

This forum isn't as "gentle" as some other (non-bee) fora I frequent. There is sometimes teasing and grumpiness which I suppose might be considered excessive by some. But I've always had considered and useful responses to any questions I've asked. I've also had people PM me off their own bat with helpful info when they've thought my posts warranted it.

It just give some old hands with nothing better to do with their time the opportunity to take the p*ss
Pathetic
Couldn't agree more, well said.

When you just want a straight answer to your question, you don't want all the other so called wit and piss taking. Does my head in.

well ... it's a bit rough and tumble sometimes but amongst that and the wit and nonsense (which I think adds to the forum) there is normally some excellent, if occasionally conflicting, advice.

Perhaps you would be better off frequenting the BBKA Forum where it is a little more clinical ? Not sure you would get the same varied level of advice though ...

Couldn't agree more, well said.

When you just want a straight answer to your question, you don't want all the other so called wit and piss taking. Does my head in.
I'm the first to call foul when things take a vicious turn, but I think opening a thread is different from using the search function, which contains a lot of the "straight answers", and you are of necessity getting involved with "the locals".

Having followed this forum for a number of months now I feel I have an idea who is likely to give you 'a rough time' and I guess i'm ready for them and its water off a ducks back... I prefer to focus on the many great people here who are kind and helpful and have offered me awesome advice... they are the people who you click on the 'friend request' for... for others, there's always the ignore button :)

Come on people, I can understand the OP, there are some very rude people here and some comments I read are definitely out of order. Should the 'victim' dare to retaliate he/she will soon find these individuals belittling every thing they type. There are also the wannabes who seem to answer every thread, whatever time of day. Makes me wonder when/if they actually do any beekeeping.

Agree with your point but not your solution

Pathetic

Although my own requests for advice and help have been well treated I really dislike the curt, abrasive and sometimes downright rude replies some posters have received. The arrogance of a few members of this forum is incredible.

But
This forum is far too valuable for beekeepers new and old to waste. There are a large number of members here who regularly post useful help and encouragement. Not only is their advice an excellent resource but I also enjoy the feeling of community when I read of other beekeepers with the same issues and sometimes successes I have

There is a definite alternative to walking away or not feeling able to ask.

It was in a similar post to yours that someone mentioned the 'ignore' button and it is a great tool. I now use it with a two strike policy. If I come across a poster whose reply offends me more than once I simply add their name to my ignore list. All posts from that member are now hidden. I can continue to read posts, or indeed make my own, safe in the knowledge that I will not have to look at any reply from that member

If you haven't yet found the ignore button look for it under <User CP> (in the top left corner)

I'm a beginner, and I only joined the forum this year.
I found the forum brilliant to get more information on bee topics.
As for asking questions, I got some great advice on some concerns I had this year.
Ok, you don't have to take the advice, that's up to you.
And yes some do go of topic, and you can skip them.
If I'm watching tv and don't like what I'm watching, I change the channel.
I would recommend this forum to any beginner, if they don't want to take the advice, they don't have to.
If they don't like what's been said, that's ok too. There are rules, once they don't break them.
Admin is there if you need it, but don't be turning every beginner off, just because your unhappy.

Having followed this forum for a number of months now I feel I have an idea who is likely to give you 'a rough time' and I guess i'm ready for them and its water off a ducks back... I prefer to focus on the many great people here who are kind and helpful and have offered me awesome advice... they are the people who you click on the 'friend request' for... for others, there's always the ignore button:)

Actually, it's blinking well disappeared!

<ADD> Oh and pot, kettle, black all round :) </ADD>

Last edited:
The OP's post on feeding attracted a lot of useful replies and one joke, which two people responded to. Certainly there was nothing to justify his starting this thread.
Yes, there are jokes on many threads, rarely, if ever, with malicious intent. There's also a lot of advice and help. However, just as in many areas of life, one person's advice can contradict another's. I asked yesterday about using the remains of last year's fondant and one reply said "use it", another "don't". We have to make our decisions based on all the information, and where there are conflicting views, we have to weigh them up. To my mind, neither that, nor the humour, makes the forum useless to the beginner.

Can't concur with the OP at all... unless you have less than X* hives and attract the wrath of the Fin there is little but constructive help here. A problem with the web in general and forum posts in particular is that people often interpret things in a different spirit to the intention.

If you want to see a bear pit of forum in action - go ask pretty much anything as an un-informed noob on the miataturbo forum about supercharging and then sit back and prepare to be savaged. (Or a fairly well informed noob come to that)

*Where X is an imaginary number that varies as far as I can tell in adverse relationship the Vodka intake...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back