Mesh in floor "bad fit" and warping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dn170221

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Three
Just putting together a budget mesh floor from Ts.
The mesh seems a few mm too wide and wants to bow. I could probably use the pins to force it flat at the ends, would that do?
Anyone else noticed this? I have the orientation correct as it is 3-4 cm too wide the other way.
Many thanks!

Ring thornes and explain the problem.....see what they say
E

You haven't noticed it then?

Are you sure it is not the other parts which are too small? As enrico - take it up with big T. Their kit is usually spot on. ''Seems''is not really good enough - too subjective - definitive measurements are far better.

...I have the orientation correct as it is 3-4 cm too wide the other way...
I had a "budget" floor or two from the sale. The mesh is longer one way but 3-4 cm difference seems a lot from what I recall. None to hand unmade to measure at present but the mesh is near full length (just under 46 cm) front to back and fits in grooves side to side (about 44 cm). The floor is fairly stiff perforated and galvanised steel (not woven wire), quite hard to flex. The overall size is the same but timber thickness is different for budget or standard model floors. You might have been sent non matching mesh and side runners. Does the entrance block fit? They are different too. They have a good reputation for sorting it out if there is a supply mistake.

The mesh seems a few mm too wide and wants to bow. I could probably use the pins to force it flat at the ends, would that do?
Anyone else noticed this? I have the orientation correct as it is 3-4 cm too wide the other way.
Many thanks!

Not seen a T floor but the National mesh I use comes in square sheets. Is yours a National?

Yes it is a national, the mesh goes from the very front of the hive to the very back, it is not as wide. Will give them a buzz.

Many thanks!

You have it in the slots correctly, right? Gravity will bow it without the pins at the back. It is a fiddle.

Yes,
it is fitted correctly, no chance of it going in the wrong way.
Contacted Ts and they reckon the mesh may be a fraction to0 wide.

yes it is fitted in the recess.
I measured the mesh and apparently it is the wrong size, they are sending me the correct size.
I tried to cut with tin snips but the ones I have were, to put it mildly, not up to it!

The mesh was too wide, Ts sent a replacement all good now.

Latest posts

Back