Mesh for hive floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimy Dee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Hello all,
Building a few hives, can any one please tell me the mesh size for a floor board and also where it can be purchased. Most places will take credit cards over the phone and post the goods so location is not that important.
Thanks in advance
Jimy

You've sort of answered you own question really.
If you know who sells it, you must know its just called floor mesh, or are you asking the total area you need for a floor.

You might as well just buy "mesh heavy duty galvanised 450mm x 450mm" from a supplier about £3 + pp

(try Wynne J.....)

You might as well just buy "mesh heavy duty galvanised 450mm x 450mm" from a supplier about £3 + pp

Yet another clever response! How did you know what hive format is required? Thinking before committing to text would help the poster avoid getting the wrong size!

Jimy Dee,

The mesh company can supply in various grades and standard sizes for your actual format.

Expanded galvanised steel gives more rigidity, but stainless steel mesh is long lasting and chemically and heat resistant.

RAB

around 3mm x 4.5 mm hole size .
thats on a miasemore floor.

plenty around on the internet.
the size of sheet will depend on hive type and floor design.

Last edited:
I got mine off ebay. Just type in "Varroa Mesh". Lots of quantities and prices come up, but if you buy 5 or 6 you should get them for around £3 each

Thanks for every ones help and information

Thanks for every ones help and information

I took a different route. I used the green plastic mesh sold for wind break in the garden section of woodies. The holes are massive! Every bit of debris falls out but wasps can't get in and the hives with it fitted appeared to be almost varroa free. One side affect is that some lazy bees don't bother entering the hive but fly under the hive and pass nectar through the mesh!

I used stainless steel mesh others use expanded galvanised metal and both work just fine. When I went looking for new prices for mesh I always asked for a price on eight mesh this been eight squares to the inch.

Latest posts

Back