Mentorship needed in South Lincs.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon kerr

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

I am wanting to get a couple of hives come the spring next year. Until then I am interested in learning the ropes before taking the plunge. I used to do beekeeping at school some 22 years ago so my knowledge has blurred somewhat since!!
Any keepers willing to share their knowledge in South Lincolnshire, Spalding, Holbeach and surrounds. And advise as to appropriate set up.

Many Thanks in advance

Simon.

I'm down Gainsbrough way if thats any good. Happy to give you my help, although only in my 3rd year. You might get someone closer and more experianced. Also, join the local BBKA association.

I'm a member of sleaford bka (part of lincs bka http://************************/local/lincolnshire/ )
Am in Boston but will be shutting my hives up in the next couple of weeks so its a bit late for me to help but there may be someone a bit closer to you. I do know someone who may have hives in the spalding area that is a member of the association. I will send an email round the group.

I guess a link to the bbka is out of the question then? just replace the ********'s with w w w dot britishbee dot org dot uk

Yes Bagyone you are correct.

We seemed to be losing so much Google page rank that I removed the BBKA from the links.
Along with not allowing signature links to companies.
Its in the new draft of rules.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2237
I understand exactly where you are on this. Innocent as it appears, before you know it you have unwittingly signed your own death warrant. Those you sought to assist are top of the tree and absolutely nothing is reciprocal.
Unfortunately I am in that position now and think I deserve a t-shirt. An easier situation to get into than it is to elegantly get out of without appearing uncharitable.
At least you have your finger on the pulse and spotted the trend before it got out of hand. Oh that my timing and perception had been as proficient.

Good luck in your search for a local mentor Simon. I'm sure that frame making etc would be a good skill to acquire and valued by your mentor for next spring. Lots of bee chatter during the work raising questions and discussing the answers is a good way to get a feel for things. Supported by reading and membership of your local BKA, I think you could do a lot worse for yourself. :)

Last edited:
Hi Simon,
I am in South Lincs not far from you, I could mentor if you like, as I have already mentored two people so far.

I have been Beekeeping now for seven years, with 15 hives mainly on 12 X 14.

Let me know if your interested.

Regards

Colin.

Latest posts

Back