Mentoring via WhatsApp

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I've been mentoring via WhatsApp and phone calls this season, just wondering if anyone else has been doing the same and how you have got on.
Thanks in advance.
Mark
Three mentees. No1 doing fine, no2 seem to be doing ok after mixing up advice from other sources but no3 interpreted input strangely and powers of description not the best. That one staggered from calamity to calamity.
Can't beat on hand eyes on guidance. 🤔

Three mentees. No1 doing fine, no2 seem to be doing ok after mixing up advice from other sources but no3 interpreted input strangely and powers of description not the best. That one staggered from calamity to calamity.
Can't beat on hand eyes on guidance. 🤔
Tell me about it, family 1 had nuc in June transfered nuc into single brood I stressed they needed to get them to draw brood frames out.. Went and put a super on when there was no need.. The bees have ignored the super and today they are taking it of.
Family two had a single brood colony in June. They were bubbling so they put a super of drawn comb I gave them no qx after I said use one, two more supers got added because the flow was going good.. Colony are really strong now with a super of honey above so no feeding required.
Family three had a nuc end of June and have killed the Queen found here on the floor with some attendants clustering here.
I've replaced the Queen and now are ok.

Fellow member had nuc but were on the verge of being honey bound.
He doesn't follow any swarm preps.
They swarmed.
:banghead: its been an aventfull season that's for sure.

Hi I've been mentoring via WhatsApp and phone calls this season, just wondering if anyone else has been doing the same and how you have got on.
Thanks in advance.
Mark
Yes quite a few.
Not that easy. End upon the phone most of the time.
I’ve given them lists of what to look for and note before seeking advice but still they don’t see stuff I need to know.
I’ve had to go out a few times
Like when you’re sick you stay off Dr Google I’m telling them to stay off Facebook
It’s an uphill struggle
A couple have done well
Some not so well
one is giving up

Once they had a big prime swarm on the ground in front of the hives and no equipment to put it in I had to turn up. Saying the queen needs space to lay and this being interpreted as the half inch of empty cells around the frame was where we went wrong.
Helping other beeks has been when I've broken the social distancing rules this year.

I would like to say a big thank you to all those who have helped me through this year, especially Steve (Swarm). Your help, advice and patience is greatly appreciated. :thanks:

Thanks in advance.
Mark
Been mentoring this way for years, works for most issues but it does help if you have sensible students capable of thinking for themselves. The next step is mentoring people in Africa via whatsapp.

Back