Mentor Wanted Bristol Area

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesBrigden

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I am a Complete Novice and Need advice on Bee Keeping. I also need advice about some Bees who have made their home in the Flat Above me Entering & Leaving Via the Ventalation Grate in the Wall. Is it Possible to Move these Bees From the Flat to A Hive?

Should be able to move them if you can get to them, is it a swarm or established colony, can you see if they have settled and made comb?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.538578,-3.129374

welcome to the forum Charles, assess the situation logically
, eg can I remove the ventilation grate,
can I see where the bees are
, where does the ventilation go to ?
is it accessible
how strong is the colony
do I have the right equipment for removal
if you have the prior knowledge that you can remove them through acess then yes, you can remove them
I would go back and see what the situation is before making any hasty decisions

also should have added am i ,as a novice capable in my knowledge able to know how to remove them safely
if the answer to the above is no, then why not enlist someone with more experience to help, also you must consider do you have enough knowledge to look after them if you do successfully take them :)

Hi Charles - welcome to the forum. You pose some difficult questions. It would be useful if you could provide some additional information.

My first reaction is that, if you are thinking of capturing this colony as an induction to beekeeping, you may be sadly disappointed, on both counts!

If the colony is established, it may be very difficult (and even dangerous for a novice) to attempt its removal. There is likely to be comb and brood, with an established laying queen. This will make for very defensive bees (unlike a newly-settled swarm which is likely to be docile). Even if you could get access (are they in a cavity wall?) it will be a messy procedure and one that many a beekeeper would be inclined to avoid. Public Liability Insurance may also be a consideration here. Furthermore, it is not the right time of year to be contemplating such a move.

OK, let's assume that you proceed and manage to capture this colony (notwithstanding such advice). Now what? You will now have to ensure that they are hived and strong enough to withstand the rigours of winter (this requires sufficient 'winter brood' to carry them through with adequate stores of honey/ sugar syrup). You are not likely to achieve this and may not have sufficient knowledge to give them a chance (no offence intended).

Perhaps not what you wanted to hear. These bees may be better left to their own devices while you use your time to study the principles of beekeeping in readiness for the spring of next year. I would recommend a nice new hive and nucleus (or even a newly-emergent swarm) as your introduction to the joys of beekeeping, after a productive winter of research and study.

You could contact a local Association for a more specific view on your bees - they may be able to help with a visit.

At any rate, I hope to see you here for next season, one way or the other!

Im available for the next few days if you want to have a go at tackling it? Drop me a message.

Im available for the next few days if you want to have a go at tackling it? Drop me a message.

WelshPaul, I find your reply quite astonishing, having reviewed all of your posts and in view of your own admission to being "a newbie". Well, good luck, if you are taken up on your offer.

I maybe a newbie but always willing to lend a hand.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.666931,-3.017385

Hi Charles.

To help you decide your next moves:
1) How far off the ground is this ventilation grate and how are you planing on reaching it?

2) How big is this ventilation grate and can it be removed - or is it part of the wall?

3) Are you sure they are bees? (not trying to be funny, from a distance many people can't tell the difference)

4) How long have they been there?

5) Are they bringing pollen home? If you are not close enough to see maybe try with a pair of binoculars or a digital camera and zoom.

6) Have you organized a place to put the hive once you have retrieved it from the wall?

7) Can you take a photograph of the situation which might help us - help you?

It is difficult to advise without sufficient info. I would get a friendly beek to help or at least assess the situation.

Greets
Phil

Hello Charles
I have PM you with the contact details of the swarm laison for the Bristol branch of the BBKA
They are worth joining and run a very good beginers course which starts in February
Good Luck
Dave

Latest posts

Back