Mentor in South Wales (valleys area)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ziggymole

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
None yet.
Hi
I will be getting ready to start beekeeping this year, preparing the hive and site initially with a view to getting a package of bees next spring. In the meantime, as well as doing a lot of reading, I would like to get some experience with a mentor. I will be using a warre hive, however it's the bee experience rather than the hive experience I'm after so it shouldn't matter what type of hive you have. I am able to travel so distance is not a major problem but local would be useful as the valleys have their own (uniquely wet) climate. I can't wait to see honeybees again as it must be at least 5 years since there were any in this valley.
Thanks for reading this
Jan

Hi Anduril,
I've thought about doing a course but discounted it so far as my Warre hive is so different from the usual beekeepers ones. What I'm looking for is experience with bees while the keeper does their regular inspections rather than learning how to do inspections myself. (Does that even make sense? But I'm sure you get the drift).
Jan

when you say 'no bees in this valley', are you talking specifically about Cwaman or the Cynon valley. Beebase shows a couple of Apriaries in the Cynon valley, they look like they are in the Aberaman/Godreaman area's.

I'm talking specifically about the Cwmaman valley, right at the very top, about three miles from Aberaman.

Jan

Hi Anduril,
What I'm looking for is experience with bees while the keeper does their regular inspections rather than learning how to do inspections myself. (Does that even make sense? But I'm sure you get the drift).
Jan

IMO I would learn how to do the inspections and gain a full understanding of what is going on inside a 'traditional' hive and what it looks like. You would then be in a much stronger position when your Warre is up and running as you will get few chances to see inside the hive.
Have you read H. Storch's 'At the Hive Entrance?' Would be useful if going down the Warre route.

In your first post you said " I will be using a warre hive, however it's the bee experience rather than the hive experience I'm after so it shouldn't matter what type of hive you have."

If that's true then go do an Association course - you'll learn how to manage bees, their needs and lifecycle. Then when you get bees, you'll know how to treat them, regardless of which hive type you have.

Eb

I'd rather not do a course - the one to one of a mentor would suit me far better especially as there would be no financial outlay or commitment to attend on specific days (something which would be almost impossible for me). The informality of a text message "I'm doing so and so tomorrow, come and join me if you can" would be my ideal. I want to learn about bees - see the workers and drones, brood cells, watch the changes in/at the hive through the seasons, know what problems to look for etc just not in a formal group setting.
Beeforest - I've read Abbe Warres book (as translated by David Heaf) - I'm off to look for your book suggestion now Thank you.

I'd rather not do a course - the one to one of a mentor would suit me far better especially as there would be no financial outlay or commitment to attend on specific days (something which would be almost impossible for me). The informality of a text message "I'm doing so and so tomorrow, come and join me if you can" would be my ideal. I want to learn about bees - see the workers and drones, brood cells, watch the changes in/at the hive through the seasons, know what problems to look for etc just not in a formal group setting.
Beeforest - I've read Abbe Warres book (as translated by David Heaf) - I'm off to look for your book suggestion now Thank you.

I think Storch is downloadable on a pdf for free but I have trouble with Kindles and such like so I have the hard copy. Another one is of course The Bee-Friendly Bee Keeper David Heaf and his website ( but I guess you know this)

http://www.dheaf.plus.com/warrebeekeeping/beeindex.htm

Wishing you luck in finding a mentor.

edit
Looks like you may have one!

If you want to watch how the bees progress why get a warre hive?
I thought they were a "leave alone" type of hive.

Hi Craig,
I'm in Cwmaman, Aberdare.
Jan
Ah - the wrong cwmaman for me anyway
Hi Anduril,
I've thought about doing a course but discounted it so far as my Warre hive is so different from the usual beekeepers ones. What I'm looking for is experience with bees while the keeper does their regular inspections rather than learning how to do inspections myself. (Does that even make sense? But I'm sure you get the drift).
Jan

Yes but bees are bees whatever hive they live in I'm not saying you're wrong not taking a course (I never did and now I'm teaching) but it is a good starter. Being a member of an association is much more than just paying for a beginners course and learning to keep bees in a natoinal - you do get to meet a wide cross section of the beekeeping community with a mountain of knowledge (and yes, some do use Warres etc - it's not an exclusive club) and get to swap a lot of ideas - plus you get insurance etc. which you wuld be foolish to be without.

Ziggymole, there is a bee course being run at the groundwork trust in Llwydcoed from April on. I think I may have booked the last 2 places but could be worth popping up to see f you can get on it;)

Hi aberreef,
Thanks for letting me know - I have just been up there and put my name on the reserve list. They said if there's enough further interest they may run a second course.
Jan

Aha good to know, I'll put the word around and see if I can get some more to go. I think the course is running every other weekend and I'm not sure which ones. It may be that I can't make it myself due to work in which case I'll let you know. My wife will still be going, mainly signed up so she can get used to the bees with a professional on hand, not just me bodging :rolleyes:

Update.

Just a quick update to say that everything is coming together for me this week. My mentor has been in touch, I've got my beesuit and as an added bonus the beekeeping course that was full when I applied has emailed to say that due to the bad weather this spring and people dropping out they have a place for me to start and I've only missed two sessions.:)

I'm also going to upstage Cazza'a beecrow as my delightful son took a photo of me modelling my new suit, he tagged it "stupid 1":eek:

:rofl: Not a pretty sight, poor mentor:eek:
1June2012

hmm won't show the pic = maybe it's just too x rated

Last edited:
Hi VEG,

Not an association course but one held at Llwdcoed Groundwork Trust.

Latest posts

Back