Melting wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
send me down yours then,is it fast. got any pictures,sounds interesting.

Last edited:
I thought I had pics but seems not so I will get you some.

Fast? As fast as it takes to heat the water and melt the wax, then the time to fasten on the filter with the Jubilee clip and pour water down the spout... up comes the wax through the filter and provided the lip is clean the wax is as bonny as you could wish for.

I ran, and will run my candle wax through double surgical lint. :)
PH

Thanks, poly hive, now go and make sure those guests of yours are happy haha,stay talking about bee's all day.
Poly hive,don't worry about the pic on my account,as i realise i have seen one of these after reading your previous post again,in fact had one, among a lot of other bee keeping stuff years ago,it was small,and in poor state,and to be quite honest i did not have a clue what it was for back at the time. As you say you had yours made much bigger. thank you anyway as that ends the mystery of that piece of equipment.

Last edited:
Thanks Poly Hive.

So I just get two bean cans. Take out the bottom and top of one and sit it on the other. Spread my tights inbetween, dump my wax in there and then it all drips into the bottom bean can.

Could I also melt it in a dish or something in a bain-marie and then pour it through tights?

Which in beekeepers view is more efficient?
I don't have a burco or solar wax extractor, so only household objects for me.

TNB, Is your post above in braille ?
:)
No, I was just trying to bring my question back as it seemed to go unnoticed.

I'm a keen learner. I've got books, I'm doing a beginners course, I attend my local apiary but I still want to learn more and I just wanted some confirmation on whether what I said re. melting wax was a healthy and efficient practice.

I'm a polite person and patient. I don't waste peoples' time and I take everything I read here as valuable advice. So I just wanted to politely re-ask my question.

I thought I answered it with the bean tin trick?

Thing about wax is the more often you heat it the darker it gets.

Thing about wax is it is just not worth bothering with elderly black brood combs. Great fire lighters though.

What is your source of wax and what do you want to do with it? that might help us point your in a right direction.

PH

I thought I answered it with the bean tin trick?

Thing about wax is the more often you heat it the darker it gets.

Thing about wax is it is just not worth bothering with elderly black brood combs. Great fire lighters though.

What is your source of wax and what do you want to do with it? that might help us point your in a right direction.

PH
Hi Poly Hive.

You did touch on what to do with it, but being a complete beginner and having no one to show me, I wanted to clarify that I understood what you meant.:)

My wax is from some second hand frames I got with my second hand hive.
Obviously I'm starting my bees on completely new frames and foundation and some of the wax was just foundation, so I wanted to retrieve it.

I'm not looking to make candles or anything. To be honest, and you'll probably think I'm mad, I just wanted to make it into little moulds, from say, plastic chocolate trays as I like the smell of it so much. It would also make a great present IMO.

Whats mad about that ? I love to heat wax and play with different molds.

I find the colour as it goes solid and the smell fasinating,a very relaxing evening can be had playing with melted beeswax.

Do you fancy having a go at a few candles ?

Whats mad about that ? I love to heat wax and play with different molds.

I find the colour as it goes solid and the smell fasinating,a very relaxing evening can be had playing with melted beeswax.

Do you fancy having a go at a few candles ?

Well, I haven't any moulds or wicks but definitely one day yes.
I love anything creative if it's nature based. It's so relaxing.
They probably go for a good price I'd imagine too.
More economic than swapping it for foundation.

Wax melting

Hi you can find a range of wax melting equipment, from bench top size up to large industrial capacities here:

Not connected with them by any chance? Looking at your handle it may be a bit of a give-away. Bye:seeya:

Right my turn for a daft wax question. If I'm melting wax cappings does the honey mixed up with it sink to the bottom with the water?

Right my turn for a daft wax question. If I'm melting wax cappings does the honey mixed up with it sink to the bottom with the water?
Once cooled you will have a cake of solid wax floating on a mixture of honey and water , probably too weak for any purpose cept maybe (if not too weak) making mead!

John Wilkinson

Hard water

one word of caution if boiling wax in water to separate and clean it from the dross

if you are in a hardwater area then boiling wax and hardwater which is alkaline can cause some of the wax to turn to soap ~this can cause the wax to form little globules not a solid block

so i add lemon juice to reduce the the alkaline water to slightly acid ( or you can use rain water)

what do i do with the wax, well saving it up until i have enough to make it worth while going to stoneleigh conference and exchange it for new foundation

Last edited:
Today's Topical Tip: If melting wax outdoors make sure it is either very cold or raining*, otherwise, the smell will attract large numbers of bees who will perish on the hot wax/water.

*Raining hard - some of my bees were flying in light drizzle yesterday. The lure of early pollen must be strong.

Thanks MM I wondered why it said in my book it was best to use rainwater.

I fit is wax cappings we are talking about - this is your best sample of wax - much better to put it to some use rather than swap for foundation.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back