Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

sahtlinurk 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
How to you guys melt your wax? ( except solar power). I had a juice steamer at home but here i haven't found anything to do the job.

Cheers,
Lauri

wilderness 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 + 1 nucs
melt your wax as in recovery of brace comb etc or melt your wax to make candles?

For the former I have a polystyrene box with a pane of glass rested on the open end. Point it South during the summer and stick a brick under the back edge. Put brace comb in an old pair of tights and wait.

For candles I have a double boiler (bainmarie)

plumber 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
use a wickes wallpaper steamer (Wickes) £20 and make an easy steam (Thornes @ £77).

add a large cylindrical vessel with a LOOSE lid as a steam wax extractor.

VEG 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
15+-some
Will be melting mine in the greenhouse in the summer :cheers2:

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
I have a piece of kit that melts pretty much any wax and strains it to surgical lint cleanliness in a one heat operation.

I copied it from a long defunct business and scaled it up to where it will do 60 lbs+ in one shot using pressure.

I may be persuaded to hire it for a fee including a deposit (refundable) with the end product suitable for candles.

PH

Mike a 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Between 17-20
I used an old veg steamer which was ok for melting down old brood comb with bits in it, but to get candle or wax blocks for showing I did this and I'm not kidding as I won first prize in the 10-12oz and 2nd prize in the 1-2 oz association show.

Bit of chicken wire, kitchen towel and a pyrex bowl.

rowbow 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
hi i use an old slow cooker with a removable inner bowl, you can pick them up at car boots.
Regards
John

VEG 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
15+-some
I use an old electric fondue set. Not tried the greeenhouse yet:cheers2:

Peteinuk 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I used an old veg steamer which was ok for melting down old brood comb with bits in it, but to get candle or wax blocks for showing I did this and I'm not kidding as I won first prize in the 10-12oz and 2nd prize in the 1-2 oz association show.

I like that idea, I've got some old frames to melt down I'll give it a try.

Frithgar 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
3 and one nuc
I use a microwave and a pyrex jug, don't use normal glass dishes, make sure it's a genuine pyrex or it will shatter because of the heat, then I have an old kitchen strainer that I line with a couple pieces of muslin.

Wax comes out lovely and clean, and retains aroma and colour.

When you try it first put the wax in for 1 minute, then check, add a minute each time until all melted, then you'll know the time needed for your microwave/quantity of wax and won't burn it.

Use oven gloves as the jug gets HOT!

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
what temperature did you have your oven on at?

I don't think that is particularly relevant. Oven temperatures can easily vary by + or - 10 degrees.

Wax melts at around 62 and spoils if overheated. You need to find your own compromise, for temperature and time to filter, I think.

RAB

steve_e 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I was just wondering because I've just measured the warming oven of our Aga and it's about 67% so I wanted to check that was about right. Sounds like it might be?

I've put the wax I've got in a casserole dish, all washed with rainwater to get as much honey and stuff off as possible, and inside a muslin cloth to strain any other bits out. Might be a bit experimental, but as long as it's not in danger of combusting I can't see any major drawback in doing it other than spoiling the wax...

psafloyd 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Probably about 5/6 at the moment
use a wickes wallpaper steamer (Wickes) £20 and make an easy steam (Thornes @ £77).

add a large cylindrical vessel with a LOOSE lid as a steam wax extractor.
Do you have a sketch of how that would look?

psafloyd 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives

What temperature did you have the oven on, Mike?

steve_e 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Well mine worked well. Left the wax for four hours or so in a pyrex casserole dish in the oven, lifted the muslin cloth out and had lovely clear liquid wax left.

Put that in a cool place for a couple more hours and had a nice piece of yellow wax cake with a bit of honey drizzle around it. Washed that off with cold water and it looks great!

psafloyd 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
what temperature did you have your oven on at?

I don't think that is particularly relevant. Oven temperatures can easily vary by + or - 10 degrees.

Wax melts at around 62 and spoils if overheated. You need to find your own compromise, for temperature and time to filter, I think.

RAB
Thank you, Rab. I wasn't going to hold him to it, just get a ballpark. Thanks for the additional info.

Latest posts