Melting down old frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnyP

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Is there any reason why I might have ended up with brown sludge after I melted down some old frames?

I normally melt them in a large pan with a couple of inches of water, sift out the cocoons and sift into a bucket so it can cool down. The wax normally sets in a cake, floating over the water. This time there was no wax, just a yucky brown mush.

It did boil briefly. Could this be the problem?

The same has happened to me. There is very little wax in old brood comb so I use them as firelighters in the winter.

The same has happened to me. There is very little wax in old brood comb so I use them as firelighters in the winter.

:iagree:

During the Summer I use a solar wax melter and then you can see how little wax there is in really old comb!

Now we've missed the solar extractor season, anyone with a compost heap may find it is hot enough in there. I can't bury my arm in mine for the heat. Going to give it a go...

Google says
"Beeswax has a relatively low melting point range of 62 to 64 °C (144 to 147 °F)"

I know compost heaps can generate a lot of heat but that high????

Last edited:
Is there any reason why I might have ended up with brown sludge after I melted down some old frames?

I normally melt them in a large pan with a couple of inches of water, sift out the cocoons and sift into a bucket so it can cool down. The wax normally sets in a cake, floating over the water. This time there was no wax, just a yucky brown mush.

It did boil briefly. Could this be the problem?

A return to this thread because i have solved the mystery :)

If you pour mixed hot wax and water through a sieve into a bucket, make sure there is no cold water in the bucket already, otherwise the wax instantly cools and solidifies into nasty brown sludge. Pour into an empty bucket to get a nice clean cake of wax floating on the top. job done...

recently melted some wax up that had honey in, which also boiled over, same brown sludge, so I'd say that's your answer, caramelized honey, have seen some places sell it as cooking honey, think it'll get poured away for me

Latest posts

Back