Melittiphis mites

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
quote from bee base>Melittiphis mites are predatory mites, preying
on scavenger mites that occur in bee hives.

Do they eat Varroa mites, because all it says is what i quote ?

quote from bee base>Melittiphis mites are predatory mites, preying
on scavenger mites that occur in bee hives.

Do they eat Varroa mites, because all it says is what i quote ?

i thought they were pollen mites, but anyway, the treatment for varroa kills them as well,,,so none left in english hives

Here is one;

so none left in english hives I don't think so .

Hey MM
if you checkany rubbish that falls through the mesh floor then you should be able to see them with the naked eye. Any dead carcusses of bees and thats where they will bee. I have not come across them in the hive at all.

Preying on scavenger mites ?

How good would that be if they did prey on Varroa.
So what do they eat if there are no dead Bees?

Hi Steve,
just by looking at their mouth parts I do not think they would bee able to kill varroa as varroa has a hard exoskeleton and the mites only have soft tissue and no mandibles to crush with. I have seen these mites on pieces of wax so I am not sure if they eat wax or not. I think they also eat pollen which there is an abundance of on the bottom of the hive. Apart from that I cant be any more forthcoming with info.
The mites may be found in great numbers in active bumblebee colonies, moving rapidly over the nest floor, nectar pots, and brood cells where they feed on nectar and pollen.
These mites are of the genus Pneumo[COLOUR="Red"]laelaps [/COLOUR]from North America*
females note the red highlighted words I think they must bee related to Tropelaelaps not sure need to checxk that out.

I will try to take a couple of photos of them at work.

Latest posts

Back