MeliBio "honey"

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes.

UK Honey Labelling Regs definition of honey:

2.—(1) In these Regulations “honey” means the natural sweet substance produced by Apis mellifera bees from the nectar of plants or from secretions of living parts of plants or excretions of plant-sucking insects on the living parts of plants which the bees collect, transform by combining with specific substances of their own, deposit, dehydrate, store and leave in honeycombs to ripen and mature.

Basically that stuff is vegan friendly BS.

I'm not sure what to make of this. They stress it's not made by bees. Does that make it fake honey?
Of course its FAKE. The advert should be taken down banned from UK internet. It makes a total mockery of UK regs and anyone connected with producing any natural product. (Thats my edited polite and politically corrected version)

They can't market it as Honey in the UK ... infringes totally the Honey Labelling Regs ... they will have to find another appropriate name for it ...

Your suggestions (Keep it clean people) are invited here ....

Its American so not sure of the regs there. But if imported to UK would need to be called something else I guess.

Skimmed through The State of the Bees Report, which makes an alarmist case against US commercial beekeeping and urges the industry to adopt a recipe for less intensive management, to increase habitat diversity, reduce reliance on animal products and so on.

So far, so reasonable, and similar arguments will apply in future to all global food production in the light of population increase, land scarcity, cost of production, global warming and carbon use.

For example, the idea of non-apis pollination is covered and asked the question: would commercial beekeepers survive on honey producton alone? In the US, the big players make their money from pollination, not honey.

Understandably, this picture of gloom and exploitation promotes the case for MeliBio and they did raise $1.5m with good press, but I can't pin down the claim to be real honey. Nearest was from Time magazine (which included MeliBio in the Special Mention list of 100 Best Inventions of 2021) that described it as:
1 a lab-brewed molecular copy of honey, which has identical sweetness and viscosity to the real thing
2 harnessing microbiology and plant-based food science, MeliBio creates clean sustainable honey, with matching nutrient composition and richness as conventional honey.

The US Food and Drug Adminisration (FDA) defines honey pretty clearly and MeliBio falls outside the law in that regard. As MeliBio say, it may sound crazy but we make real honey wthout bees!

No, they don't, but their case for the product is sound.

Simple Fake Honey would suffice for a name.

It's from California ('nuff said?) and you can't buy it.......it's not going to be a problem. They've just found a way to get "validation" for the fakery which goes on already. The founders of the company appear to hate honeybees and say, "Honeybees are lazy, average and specific" (regarding pollination.)
Horrible stuff.:(

The only problem is the webpage about 'Honea' says "Original Honea is a bee-free vegan honey" which of course it isn't as it lists 'Apple Juice' and 'Lemon Juice' as two of the ingredients and unless my garden skills are suspect don't both of those require pollination by bees for the tree to set the fruit that then results in the juices?

Yes, I know I'm being picky but the Vegans can't have it both ways. Lets hope the American pollination industry can find a way to not pollinate the Almond blossom for a few years and see if the vegans can devise an alternative to all the Almond products they use.

Lets hope the American pollination industry can find a way to not pollinate the Almond blossom for a few years and see if the vegans can devise an alternative to all the Almond products they use.
Although I have yet to see the special almonds they produce -
The ones with t!ts that they get milk from

Quoted from TIME

Melibio
"which has identical sweetness and viscosity to the real thing."

No mention of enzymes, pollen, honeydew, wax, -- and all the other stuff (that I do not know the name of )

that does not get filtered out when I do my stuff to complete production of HONEY!!!!

Microscopic body parts of BEES??

Latest posts

Back