Meadow and pasture

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Comb

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10+
Can anyone please explain the difference between the two.

Thanks
Peter

Pasture is a term for land used for grazing , where meadow is used for hay making ! usually! although to two terms are widely used to mean either :).

John Wilkinson

Meadows were also traditionally low lying flood land too, therefore often unsuitable for long term grazing but haymaking which takes place in the summer months would not be so affected. Not always so, and these days with modern flood relief systems they often don't flood anymore. Flooding naturally fertilized the land with rich river sediment.

Frisbee

Thank you all you knowledgeable folk.
Now here's another question (I ask a lot of questions)

What about land that has been landfill?
It's been capped off with "stone" and then soil on top.
Plot for sale, but the owner "forgot" to mention this.
Horses on it at moment. Probably not good to plough.
Any advice?

depends on what's in the landfill ......

Will the vendor take a single premium permanent insurance that the assurances as to underground content are valid ??

Is it cheap or expensive ?

any planning permission, or restrictions on use ?

you should probably get advice from a legal professional .....

you would have a better chance of suing him than us !

JC.

you should be able to plough if its been restored properly although i would want check it well if i were you.

spot on i was told that a meadow never has an animal in it but modern langue has merged the two completly up

I need to go tell the 40 cows in the meadow..
The meadow they are in is flooded every year by closing the sluice gates.

What about land that has been landfill?

Alot depends on the age of the landfill. More recent sites will be lined and vented to control any water that leaches through and any gas created by the decomposition of the waste. Older sites will not have any of this and could be open to a whole host of issues.

But I would have thought that most landfills regardless of age will be covered deep enough to plough.

Si.

I took it no further and it's still for sale. I wonder why.

Soil top is about 6 - 9". Very difficult to drive in posts.

I believe it's some time since it was landfill.

Latest posts

Back