Mead set for a come back!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would honey have yeast in it, why would bees want their food to ferment?

I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that spores from "wild" yeasts got almost everywhere. I would be more surprised if Honey didn't contain yeast rather than if it did.

The yeasts that cause syrup to ferment probably get here in the same way as yeast would get into Honey.

Wild yeasts are naturally found on skins of fruit but also in the nectaries of flowers so are brought back with the nectar. Honey diluted down with water will ferment naturally but it is unlikely you will get a very good mead. Thats why you need to sterilise the must to the kill the naturally occurring yeast before adding the cultured yeast of produce the quality of mead required.

A friend of mine has been supplying mead to local events for the past few years and the best honey for sweetening has always been from bees that have been near osr..which supprised me..

Ive got some old stuff from last year that im going to use to make some. just need to pick the yeast. think im going for a champagne one.

baggy

I made more than I can drink last year (well, not QUITE true - maybe more than i should drink ;) )

Does anyone have experience of selling mead?

Jc

Ive got some old stuff from last year that im going to use to make some. just need to pick the yeast. think im going for a champagne one.

baggy

a good homebrew shop should have a range of yeasts,for specific types of wine.
type in Sylken homebrew ( my local shop)

Does anyone have experience of selling mead?
Jc

Bet it would sell really well, athough i suspect you would need to pay alcohol duty and be registered with HM customs and excise.

I talked to a magistrate when he bought honey from me a couple of weeks ago - he thought it would be fine to sell it for "suggested donations", in the same way as fetes etc cope with raffles.

Jc

I talked to a magistrate when he bought honey from me a couple of weeks ago - he thought it would be fine to sell it for "suggested donations", in the same way as fetes etc cope with raffles.

Jc
Sounds good,thats the loophole sorted then,now for the mass production:)

Jc

Interesting, because I seem to remember a time when they wanted to stop "Cheese and Wine" fund raising parties (remember those?) as they were "selling Alcohol".

well, racked off another gallon yesterday afternoon ( drank a few glasses )
currently the mead is passing through a 'vinbright' filter ready for bottling. should get 4 bottles of mead ( we drank a fair bit yesterday! ;) )

will be starting another demijohn full later today!!

Latest posts

Back