Mead - how to use the cappings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi,

I was going to attempt making mead for the first time as I have a lot of cappings to get rid of, but I can't find anything about how to process these cappings. Do I need to heat it all up and then strain it? Presumably it shouldn't boil though, should it?

Thanks!

A friend of mine uses a small amount of warm water to rinse and remove the honey and finally strain the mash.

Ok, so rinse it with a bit of warm water but no need to heat. Thanks v much!

Made some mead earlier this year (april) and it turned out ok, very sweet and about 66% alcohol!

made some more mead with the water from washing capping. basically i just put some tap water, use "soft" water if you can, its meant to be better!

left it for 24 hours and then drained it through some muslin so get all wax out.

i then put it into a 10 liter bucket and kept adding water until the potential for alcohol was 12-14% using a hydrometer, added the yeast and let it for a few days.

i then decided to add some flavours, so separated into 2 demijohns and added strawberries and blueberries, the white bucket is normal mead that was left over after i filled the to demijohns.

http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy93/sckevin/DSCF0146.jpg

will be "racking" it in about 3/4 weeks and then leaving it for a few months, just in time for christmas! :party:

EDIT: the blueberry mead has turned into a lovely dark purple now! :)

Last edited:
I plan to do some mead this year but don’t want it to be 66% alcohol!!

Is that right CB 66%

I plan to do some mead this year but don’t want it to be 66% alcohol!!

Is that right CB 66%

lol....im afraid it was Tom!

i thought i was reading the hydrometer wrong at first seen as i had never used it before, but having made mead again (this time correctly) it seems that i was indeed reading it right.

ive got 2 bottles of that "tester" batch left and when you open them, boy can you smell the alcohol in it!

i learned a lot making the first batch, which was only 5 liters, which meant i could make this current batch better....i hope! :laughing-smiley-004

Made some mead earlier this year (april) and it turned out ok, very sweet and about 66% alcohol!

In the nicest possible way....impossible. Even with turbo yeasts fermentation can only give 20% alcohol. Can't go higher as the yeast is killed off.

Unless there's something you want to tell us regarding your still in the woods;)

Unless there's something you want to tell us regarding your still in the woods;)

Lol......shhuuusshhhh, no one is meant to know about that! now i must find you and eliminate you :p

when i took the reading, it said 66% but as ive said previously, i didnt know how to use the hydrometer. I was surprised it was that high to be honest and going by what you said, your probably right susbees.

in any case, i ordered a vinometer a few days ago and when i get it (hopefully today) ill check that batch and see what the alcohol level is in it and let ye know :)

Last edited:
QUOTE]

Are you sure about the 66% or is it just a typo? I've made mead and wine for over 30 years and won competitions and don't know of a wine yeast or mead one for that matter which would get anywhere near that. I am also the competitions secretary in the local Wine Club so I think I know a tiny bit about wine.

As ive said before Arfermo, because i wasnt sure on how to use the hydrometer, and from what others have said here, it lools like i obvisouly read it wrong.

All shall be clear either today or tomorrow (vinometer coming :))

ahhh I may of been a bit off with the 66%!

i got the vinometer this morning and tested the first batch of mead from april and the alcohol level in it was 15%!

so ahh ya, a bit :redface: right about now! lol

The photo of the mead with strawberries and blueberries look great. Let us know what they taste like. I am about to have my first go at mead making, but it'll probably be plain, as I was hoping to enter it at the honey show next year, and they always say only honey, water and yeast. However, watching a u tube 'how to make mead' he said add raisens. Do they serve a purpose do you know, and will it work without any other goodies.
Problem is I am not an alcoholic, and I probably will hate the smell and taste of the mead, so it'll be difficult to judge whether it is good or bad. The only alcolhol I can cope with is watered down with lemonade! Perhaps meadade will be OK.

Returning to the OP Q.

Soak in cold water giving them a stir every now and again and after three or four days all the honey should be dissolved into the water.

Check the strength with a hydromoter and adjust for quantity.

PH

The photo of the mead with strawberries and blueberries look great. Let us know what they taste like. I am about to have my first go at mead making, but it'll probably be plain, as I was hoping to enter it at the honey show next year, and they always say only honey, water and yeast. However, watching a u tube 'how to make mead' he said add raisens. Do they serve a purpose do you know, and will it work without any other goodies.
Problem is I am not an alcoholic, and I probably will hate the smell and taste of the mead, so it'll be difficult to judge whether it is good or bad. The only alcolhol I can cope with is watered down with lemonade! Perhaps meadade will be OK.

I will of course let ye know what it tastes like, really looking forward to it. the strawberry more than the blueberry...that was until a few days after i took the first pics, the blueberry has turned a lovely purple colour, see the link below.....

http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy93/sckevin/DSCF0155.jpg

now, i think i want the blueberry more! lol

the raisins are put in for nutrition only, not sure exactly what, probably vitamins or something. Some people don’t use them at all, instead they use bee collect pollen!

I don’t drink at all, cant stand the stuff, but the first mead I made, I loved it cause it was so sweet. Im sure your’s will be fine, you will have a pretty good idea when you taste it if its any good or not….you can always ask a friend or 2 who do drink to have a taste and see what they say.

The thing is your never gonna know unless you try and if it doesnt turn out ok, then at least you may of learned something for the next time you give it a go! :)

Best of luck and let us know how you get on

Well last night, under the insistence of my 12 year old, before I really knew what I was doing...but then I suppose experience is the best learning curve, we started on the production of mead. I was excited to see that it was bubbling this morning in the air lock, but I think we filled it too much, as there is all mucky stuff in the airlock, so I am going to put a clean one on in a minute
Despite the fact you should not use a bland rape honey, I have got about 30 jars of 'wet' stuff, which we used. Only time will tell, and I'm sure we'll be able to improve. It's all good fun experimenting. My son wants to do a fruity one too.....perhaps next week!

Sorry, Corkbeek, only just looked at the photo, and looking really nice colours. :hurray:

Quick recipe for you.
1.6kg honey
1 orange
1 stick of cinnamon
tea spoon of brewers yeast

Cut up orange put in demi john with cinnamon.
add a small amount of water to honey and warm while stirring leave to cool.
When cool add to demi john top up to 3/4 full with water, add yeast.
Leave for two days while it froths, then fill up with water to top.
leave for just over two months, when it will clear ish (may take longer).

It will bubble lots and if left long enough even the orange sinks to leave a nice clear tasty liquid. Comes out around 16% (I wish I could make mead 66%)

ATB

Latest posts

Back