Me bee keeping!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
Here is the video of my first touch of bees :) I was a bit apprehensive, but after the first go, you couldn't stop me lol....I'm the one in the green boots btw ;)
http://www.paulpeacock.net/City_Cottage_from_Diana_and_Paul_Peacock.html

It is the first video on the home page. It features the site I posted the pics of, and a little about what we've done. He didn't show the bit where they flew out of the box for some reason lol, maybe because his new bee keepers were all running away, not a good look. lol

Thank you, I was so nervous! I keep talking to the bees, but then I talk to the cat.....first sign of insanity ;)

Not yet.....do they all have to have names beginning with B? :p

Well done.
I think it's marvellous when a community gets together like that.

I'm surprised that your tutor let you suit up with your gloves INSIDE your sleeves though and I noticed that your jeans were outside your boots.
Safer the other way round I think but I am a first year beek and know nothing.

Nicely done although I wouldn't of bothered with the super myself if they have 5 frames to fill in the brood chamber. Glad to see someone spotted the bee escapes were the wrong way up, cut to the next shot and its had been adjusted.

:hurray:

Oh dear, I could have swore that when I told them to be nice as I was the one who would be looking after them, they listened and calmed down ;)

They are very pretty bees, very dark almost no yellow, just a very shallow slight yellow band. I just want to go and sit and watch them, but the kids are driving me mad and I suppose I'd better go shopping so I can feed them lol

I did wonder if I should have kept my jeans on the inside, but I only have skinny legs and the boots would have made a lovely dark tunnel to crawl down, and I was mindful of the previous post when someone got a load of bees fall down his boots and was badly stung so I swapped them around just before they were opened. The sleeves on the gloves are very tight elastic but what would everyone else recommend? I am new to this and Paul is very relaxed about suit wearing and not wearing gloves. Each to their own and who am I to question it, but myself, I want to be TOTALLY covered.

I have been totally relaxed around the nuc I got in June which grew to an AS and then a swarm.
I have a hive from my BKA which are a tad more fiesty. It was made as a split for me.
The baby hive with the baby swarm may morph into less easy bees as the posts on here regarding swarms suggest so I now put on jacket and gloves to feed and complete suit to check hives. If you get a full suit you will find that the generous pants will fill your wellies leaving no gaps

I'd agree with the full suit advice, but until you get one why not get some cycle clips to snap on over your jeans and boots?

FG

I did take some elastic bands wrapped around the box of antihistamine tabs I bought, but they totally left my mind when the bees were brought out. In future I am going to take myself to one side, away from the excitement, and do a safety check. One other thing i didn't realise until later was, as I am slim and small, when I pulled the top down it was like a dress, leaving a gap around my legs which any bees who so pleased could have crawled up inside the suit. Thankfully none did, but I will certainly be very aware of that in future.

The day was amazing! I think Paul thought I had touched bees before, which I haven't. He does that much teaching he must get people confused all the time lol. Anyhow, I was very pleased with myself after I lifted the first one, and did the rest with no fuss....although, again, as I am only slight, the shoulder of the suit kept falling down restricting movement. I am thinking of buying my own suit, one that fits me. Again, because Paul and Diane were so encouraging, they made it easy for me. I would not have done this if it wasn't for them, and I wish could let them know how much they have helped me with this. I really want to go and watch the bees, and I have never worried so much about what the weather is up to. Does this mean I am a bee keeper now? ;)

lol, I know, when can you say you are a fully fledged bee keeper? I would love to say if someone asks what my hobbies are " I am a bee keeper, thank you very much " lol

Nicely done although I wouldn't of bothered with the super myself if they have 5 frames to fill in the brood chamber. Glad to see someone spotted the bee escapes were the wrong way up, cut to the next shot and its had been adjusted.

:hurray:

You just stole my thunder :bigear:.

John Wilkinson
Congrats, Love the Manky accent ,
I'll bet the Vico' comes round in his cortino'

Well done.
I think it's marvellous when a community gets together like that.

I'm surprised that your tutor let you suit up with your gloves INSIDE your sleeves though and I noticed that your jeans were outside your boots.
Safer the other way round I think but I am a first year beek and know nothing.

I really enjoyed your video, for an ex bee phobic that's good going! I agree with Erichhb. Pop your jeans inside your boots and whilst you wait to get a full suit, try baggier trousers.
Cazza

lol, my lad said I sounded scouse! and yes the vic-oh, does come round in this cortin-oh, but only for the honey ;)

with regards to the boots...what happens if I drop any down the leg? Also, they liked hitching a ride on my leg, what if they crawled down? would it not be better to wear them over the top of the boots but then secure wioth an elastic band at the bottom? I keep thinking of that sticky on here about dropping bees in his trainer and getting badly injured ( shudder ) lol

with regards to the boots...what happens if I drop any down the leg? Also, they liked hitching a ride on my leg, what if they crawled down? would it not be better to wear them over the top of the boots but then secure wioth an elastic band at the bottom? I keep thinking of that sticky on here about dropping bees in his trainer and getting badly injured ( shudder ) lol

For some bizarre reason, bees like to crawl upwards but not downward. So if you wear a jacket and veil instead of a full suit (as i do) you tuck it in to your troosers. Also tuck jeans in to wellies,

Latest posts

Back