Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

keithgrimes 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I got my first nuc last Sunday and hived them Monday. Today, twenty minutes before the England Germany game, they swarmed. They plastered themselves under the hive so I assumed the queen was clipped (like a fool, I hadn't asked when I bought the nuc). Got them in to a new hive, saw the queen (marked, thanks Dave) and went through the original hive - sure enough, queen cells. After a phone call to the guy I bought the nuc from, established that the queen is NOT clipped. Lucky or what? I missed the game, but from what I heard I had a better afternoon than most.;)

MuswellMetro 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I got my first nuc last Sunday and hived them Monday. Today, twenty minutes before the England Germany game, they swarmed. They plastered themselves under the hive so I assumed the queen was clipped (like a fool, I hadn't asked when I bought the nuc). Got them in to a new hive, saw the queen (marked, thanks Dave) and went through the original hive - sure enough, queen cells. After a phone call to the guy I bought the nuc from, established that the queen is NOT clipped. Lucky or what? I missed the game, but from what I heard I had a better afternoon than most.;)
lets find out why they swarmed

Did you feed them syrup?

how much did they take down?

how many frames was in the nUc and what were the frames ? stores? brood? Drawing?

How many frames of foundation did you add ? standard or 14x12 brood ?

Last edited:

keithgrimes 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I fed them 1:1 syrup in a quart feeder and it was completely empty today. In retrospect that was the problem I think, not enough feed. I'm still learning I guess. Six frames of nuc with 5 frames occupied; brood, stores and drawing. I made up with foundation to 11 frames in a WBC standard brood box, OMF.

winmag270 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
not saying anymore in case SWMBO reads this... ;o)
I fed them 1:1 syrup in a quart feeder and it was completely empty today. In retrospect that was the problem I think, not enough feed.
more likely too much feed....

the bees would have brought it down and filled every available empty cell, leaving no-where for the queen to lay, as they wouldn't have had time to draw new frames out enough to store it in.....

Onge 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
9 Medium Poly, mostly foundation-less. Some run as Warre TBH

keithgrimes 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
right, I've just re read the posts. now I understand, thanks. Its tricky this bee keeping lark ain't it. Too much feed, not enough feed, etc etc.

Latest posts