Maxing your honey price

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Decide on a sexy jar.

Lots around, find one to suit you, in a past life I used skep pound ones.

Buy a sexy label. Home printed look just that, and mine cost some 20p each. So?

A good label sells.

A good Jar sells too.

The honey in the jar and behind the label has to be clean, clean and clean, and (in my opinion) creamed. Why? Gives you vastly extended shelf life.

Given the above you have a sell able combination and can ask a killer price.

And you are waiting for what?

PH

Already sold out of this years early extraction.. Not creamed- just filtered gold.
Little blue- your statistics show no hive yet - are you surprised....Next year will be good:coolgleamA:

Decide on a sexy jar.

Lots around, find one to suit you, in a past life I used skep pound ones.

A good label sells.

A good Jar sells too.

The honey in the jar and behind the label has to be clean, clean and clean, and (in my opinion) creamed. Why? Gives you vastly extended shelf life.

Given the above you have a sell able combination and can ask a killer price.

And you are waiting for what?

PH

Any nuggets regarding the packaging and presentation of cut comb PH?

PH

So ... some on here build hives - because they have the tools and they can, some breed their queen because they have the tools and they can. With labels the same is true, the tech isnt expensive, neither is the 'essential' software. So ... put they same effort into labels and marketing that we do in to the other parts of this hobby, make your labels truly unique, provide yourself with a USP and beat the quality of those mass produced impersonal ones.

We had this debate on another thread I thinkl!

I know of one person that has gone back to home made labels as he sells at local farmers markets and the public seemed to think the professional labels were too good. They thought he was getting the honey from some where else. He put the home made labels on and sold more of the same product.

You say the honey should be 'clean, clean, clean'. Any tips on getting it there? Should it be filtered through muslin? My early experience it that it is difficult to get it to flow through a fine seive let alone muslin. I suppose one anser is to warm it - but how much. I a bit confused over this one.

I use 3 stage filtering
1 through a coarse filter (this gets rid of large pieces of debris .wax/bees' legs ect ).
2 fine filter
Finally through a conical nylon cloth filter which sits in my honey settling tank come bottling tank.

I you have to heat your honey ,make sure it doesn't exceed 40c.

John Wilkinson

I have been away in the motor home in the middle of no-where. listening to the sea birds, the odd train and a forage harvester singing in the distance.

No people, no silly football and peace utter peace.

Cleaning honey.

I made it liquid, and played with thermostats until it just cleared and no more and if there were a few crystals left in the bottom of the bucket I thought it a fair price for the not burning of it.

I filtered it using a spin dryer and 400 micron cloth (from memory)

Then I seeded it and creamed it. I am not discussing that here as it involved pumping and tank and so is not of interest here.

PH

Latest posts

Back