maximum protection suit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Hi
I have had an anaphylactic reaction to a sting and have had desensitisation treatment which has probably (!) been successful. However I don't feel inclined to take any chances. Can anyone recommend a particularly high protection bee suit? my bees can sting through my current suit if especially cheesed off!
thanks
Philip

Hi
I have had an anaphylactic reaction to a sting and have had desensitisation treatment which has probably (!) been successful. However I don't feel inclined to take any chances. Can anyone recommend a particularly high protection bee suit? my bees can sting through my current suit if especially cheesed off!
thanks
Philip

What do you have on underneath your current suit?
Would a jumper help make more space between the outside and your flesh?

When my bees turned nasty my full protection was normal clothes with a pair of overalls on top all under my bee suit, plus two pairs of gloves and arm protectors and a baseball cap.I was determined the little b**ggers were not going to get me.Big downside is it gets very hot and sweaty but I didnt get stung even though they were all over my suit.If your bees are calm I don't think you would need to go to those extremes just something a little thicker under your suit and bee proof gloves.

Hi
thanks
Philip

Joined 2012, post count 1 - where have you been?

Regarding the sting and reaction, you might care to look at some of the numerous discussions on just this topic that have gone on over the years in here plus the sticky thread about desensitisation to share the experience of other sufferers.
The thickness of the material and the type of material it's made from are the major things to consider as you seem to have deduced. However I'm always minded of a comment on the Yorkshire Beehives website when I first began that said "as a beekeeper you WILL get stung" .
Gloves are a perennial problem with the leather variety often given free with beesuits being traps for sting pheromones leading to aggression from bees during manipulations.
Take advice from suit manufacturers, bearing in mind they could be salesmen, also have someone suited up and with you to assist if you are stung and develop symptoms that require you to leave the site immediately. You may find with experience the treatment you have had is adequate and you can safely continue beekeeping.

Hi
thanks
Philip
I'm in the same position as you but have finished my 3 year de-sensitisation course. I treated myself to a made to measure suit from Sherrif's and had some custome additions such as a hood with ear protection and a rigid front so there is no chance of the bees getting to my head or face. I've also had parts of the suit lined with their "bee-proof"padding so their stings cant reach me on my arms etc. Works really well and I've not had a single sting through the suit yet.

For gloves, initially go with the blue"rubberised" gloves with cotton gauntlet. These are bee proof and will easily last a year. They can also be cleaned regularly. I now use nitrile gloves for my own bees as I can tolerate the odd sting on my hand but still use the blue gloves for others bees.

Beesuits, well the UK made off the shelf ones are not sting proof simples!

I have an american jacket and hood that is; although you get the usual disclaimers on account if you compress the protection a sting can sometimes get thro. Its a little pricey but the quality is top notch and it works. I bought it for different reasons than you as I am to date pretty much reaction free to stings.

You can buy the trousers too but I prefer the jacket type protection now. A number of the awesome people I have met off this site has seen me wearing it. I have been stung more times than I care to count but never thro the suit only stung thro my trousers usually round the boy bits......

No doubt this post will draw fire so PM me if you want more info. I work away in the week so don't worry if I do not reply immediately, I'm not ignoring you.

Last edited:
I like the look of those suits. Are they cooler in the sun than normal suits? I could do with something that lets air flow through, sorry to hi jack

Beesuits, well the UK made off the shelf ones are not sting proof simples!

I have an american jacket and hood that is; although you get the usual disclaimers on account if you compress the protection a sting can sometimes get thro. Its a little pricey but the quality is top notch and it works. I bought it for different reasons than you as I am to date pretty much reaction free to stings.

You can buy the trousers too but I prefer the jacket type protection now. A number of the awesome people I have met off this site has seen me wearing it. I have been stung more times than I care to count but never thro the suit only stung thro my trousers usually round the boy bits......

No doubt this post will draw fire so PM me if you want more info. I work away in the week so don't worry if I do not reply immediately, I'm not ignoring you.
I have used American made bee suits since I started 9 years ago. I buy mine from Golden Bee Suits and with shipping and the fluctuating currency rates generally cost about £200.
I still have my first one and after minor repairs I use it regularly. I bought one of similar material from M......e but do not like fencing hoods. Mann Lake sold a similar one in the UK made under licence from Golden Bee suits. I have recommended these to several other beeks and they are very happy.

You could wear this

220px-Italian_-_Sallet_-_Walters_51580.jpg

under a normal bee suit. You should be fully protected. :D

Thanks, i might try it :)

Latest posts

Back